Top image: Sensory Deprivation Skull. Above and below: Prick Lamp
The pieces are related to Van Lieshout's ongoing Slave City project (see our earlier story).
Above and below: Bad Club Chair
The exhibition runs until 24 November.
Above: Bad Little Table
Above: Family Lamp
Above and below: HQ Coffee Table
Above and below: Infrastructure Table
Above and below: Technocrat Bronze Table
Here is some info from the gallery:
Atelier Van Lieshout
10 October - 24 November 2007
Atelier Van Lieshout (AVL) is multidisciplinary design collective whose influence crosses contemporary art, architecture and design creating controversial and subversive works. The company was founded in 1995 by Joep van Lieshout.
Atelier Van Lieshout (AVL) is a multidisciplinary company that operates internationally in the field of contemporary art, design and architecture. AVL was founded in 1995 by Joep van Lieshout. The name Atelier Van Lieshout emphasizes the fact that the works of art do not stem solely from the creative brain of Joep van Lieshout, but are produced by a creative team. In 2001 Atelier Van Leishout founded their own ‘free state'- AVL-Ville in the port of Rotterdam.
Today AVL's creative team produces practical, uncomplicated and substantial works of art which permit an element of what they describe as the ‘absence of design'. These new works exploit common industrial materials such as galvanized steel tubing used in scaffold construction and sheets of unfinished plywood combined with their trademark preference for brightly coloured polyester. AVL designs furniture to satisfy a self sufficient and independent lifestyle in the same spirit of the company's own ideological tenants realized in their miniature models of ‘Slave Cities' fashioned into lamps, chairs and tables.
- Labware by Benjamin Hubert for Authentic…s
- British Gymnastics logo by Bear London
- Furniture II by Atelier Van Lieshout at …Carpenters Workshop Gallery
- Oscar Niemeyer facade informs cross-shap…ed concrete vase
- The Underground Library by Keri Tan, Max… Pilwat and Ferdi Rodriguez
- Sungsin Eo designs foam display system f…or child-friendly exhibitions
- One laptop per artist: OLPC charity auct…ion
- Snarkitecture's Architectural Camouflage… garments feature subway tiles and marble
- Shine outdoor furniture by Arik Levy for… Emu
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories