The collection, which includes chairs, tables, a stool, a bench and a storage chest all made of Siberian larch, was launched at Stockholm Furniture Fair earlier this month.
The company aims to develop and produce low-impact outdoor furniture and profits go to help the rehabilitation, employment and education of ex-criminals (according to our friends at Future Design Days, who helped us translate the IOU Design website from Swedish).
TAF Arkitektkontor's Gabriella Gustafsson and Mattias Ståhlbom also designed the Greenhouse young designers' showcase at the Stockholm Furniture Fair this year (see our reports from Stockholm for Greenhouse updates).
Here is some text about the collection, courtesy of the Future Design Days newsletter:
Swedish IOU Design is a newborn company with many good qualities. First of all they develop, produce and sell low-impact outdoor furniture. Made of Siberian larch and transported the most environmental-friendly way possible. Secondly, almost all parts of the company are run through an educational programme, with the purpose to help people in alienation to get back into the society.
Thirdly IOU Design only contract acknowledged Swedish designers. All the furniture in the first collection is created by TAF Architect Agency, run by Gabriella Gustafsson and Mattias Ståhlbom, who also for the second year in succession designed the Greenhouse area at the recently completed Stockholm Furniture Fair 2008. This first IOU collection, which is for sale now, consists of chairs, tables, a stool, a bench and a storage chest.
- Maaike Roozenburg combines augmented rea…lity and digital prototyping to create smart fakes
- Kanazawa World Craft Triennial 2010 Pre-…event by Nendo
- Today at Dezeen Platform: C.A.N
- Luminosity by Tom Dixon at MOST
- Mercury by Ziiiro available in new colou…rs at Dezeen Watch Store
- Chris Kabel casts found objects in bronz…e for Fogo Island hotel key fobs
- Familiar/Foreign by George Coffin
- Tokyo Designers Week interviews: Gwenael… Nicolas
- Breed and Retreat by Frederik Roijé
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories