The installation will be part of the main biennale exhibition curated by Aaron Betsky and called 'Out there: architecture beyond building'.
The Venice Architecture Biennale runs from 14 September - 23 November.
The following information is from UNStudio:
UNStudio – The Changing Room, Venice Biennale of Architecture 2008
For this year's international architecture biennale in Venice UNStudio has produced ‘The Changing Room’ as part of the exhibition 'out there: architecture beyond building' curated by Aaron Betsky.
The UNStudio installation in the Arsenale explores the transformative potential of the material world. Just like clothes designers, architects offer alternate looks and identities, age and income-appropriate shells. These constructions consist of a miscellaneous package of endogenous and exogenous values; things and ideas that inherently belong to architecture and its traditions, and things and ideas that do not, but that nevertheless profoundly influence architecture.
How to deal with this? Can architecture still have autonomy? According to UNStudio the lesson is to ‘switch it on, switch it off’… to find autonomy in brief moments of liberation.
The installation structure shows an architecture that is as supple as textile, in which floors, walls and ceilings flow into each other. On the inside, the visitor encounters a kaleidoscopic world of people posing, inviting voyeurism, and seeking transformation in their own conceptualizations of the changing room.
UNStudio, The changing room – couture of architecture
Ben van Berkel, Caroline Bos with Christian Veddeler and Hans-Peter Nuenning, Steffen Riegas
Light design with:
meso digital interiors, Frankfurt
Engineering and building:
p&p gmbh, Fuerth/Odenwald
The Netherlands Architecture Fund, Rotterdam
The Netherlands Foundation for Visual Arts, Design and Architecture, Amsterdam
Caparol GmbH, Ober-Ramstadt
Pieters Bouwtechniek, Amsterdam
P&P GmbH, Fürth/ Odenwald
Resopal GmbH, Gross-Umstadt
- Lene Toni Kjeld at Salone Satellite
- Torsten Sherwood's new construction toy …"takes great inspiration from Lego"
- Les Astronautes fills Quebec passageway …with swimming pool toys
- The Art of the Album Cover at The Galler…y@
- "Not all design is for the general good,…" says MoMA's Paola Antonelli
- David Adjaye creates Stool 7 for new onl…ine design platform Standseven
- Tokyo Designers Week 2008
- Lighting installation by Robert Stadler …during Nuit Blanche in Paris
- Float by Benjamin Hubert for Unique Cope…nhagen
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories