The house was completed at the end of 2007.
Photographs by Takumi Ota.
The following text is from Isolation Unit:
A private residence for a married couple with three children in a suburb of Kagawa prefecture.
Two boxes are studiously inserted into the single plain volume in order to create generous space in between.
The created rooms are continuously interconnected, so that one can always perceive the existence of the other in the next room. At the same time, the insight is limited in order to secure the privacy.
Although most houses shut out the public, the living room in this house is open to the neighbourhood through the attached terrace, and offers the community space to this developing residence area.
More Dezeen stories
about Isolation Unit:
- Urban Nebula by Zaha Hadid
- Icelandic Opera House by Arkitema and Ar…kthing
- 23.2 by Omer Arbel
- Thomas Phifer's United States Courthouse… is covered in vertical sun shades
- National Glass Museum Holland by Bureau …SLA
- Gallery Orsta by Claesson Koivisto Rune
- Designed in Hackney: Shoreditch Roomsby …Archer Architects
- Information Centre at the Groninger Muse…um by Jaime Hayón
- Sauna Huginn&Muginn by AtelierFORTE
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories