Vertical tubes with sections in the shape of hearts, diamonds and stars fill the gallery.
The tubes are made from recycled paperboard and will be recycled once the exhibition closes.
The installation will remain in place until 8 February.
Photographs by Takumi Ota.
The following text is from Diesel Denim Gallery:
HEART OF SHAPES
22nd November 2008 THROUGH 8th Feburuary 2009.
Countless massive structures flood the DIESEL DENIM GALLERY. These cookie-cutter like structures form heart-, diamond-, and star-shapes that resemble children's toys and comic balloons. To craw through, cuddle inside, and wander between the heart, diamond, and star experience is extraordinary but also tickles your mind with nostalgia of secret hide-away from our childhood. Heart, diamond, and star structures are made with recycled paperboard. During the exhibition, it forms surreal space in the gallery. At the end, it will be melted down and recycled back to have other forms in everyday world.
KEIKO+MANABU design team based in Tokyo and Seattle, founded by KEIKO Uchiyama and MANABU Sawase, both studied architecture in U.S. and Japan. Their design projects stretch wide from jewellery to product, commercial architecture, and urban planning, from Japan to overseas.
Curator: Masaaki Takahashi Jewelry designer:IKUYO
Material and Prodcution: Oji Paper Co., Ltd. Oji Paperboard Co., Ltd. Oji Packing Co., Ltd. and Sumitomo 3M
DIESEL DENIM GALLERY AOYAMA
6-3-3 Minami Aoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo
More Dezeen stories about Diesel Denim Gallery:
- HI matic by Matali Crasset with Patrick …Elouarghi and Philippe Chatelet
- "I was horrified at the thought of a sou…lless chain" - Aesop founder
- Coven by Marcelo Alvarenga
- Board Room by Atelier van Lieshout
- Nendo fills Camper's Stockholm store wit…h paper-thin spirals
- Building rehabilitation in Calçada do L…avraby Jorge Mealha Arquitecto
- Architecture studio with a bulging wall …by domohomo architects
- Slowpoke Cafe by Sasufi
- House of Shoes by Shigeru Ban and Dean M…altz
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories