Celebrating the Cross 1 is a lounger that incorporates a crucifix, created by Swedish design studio Humans since 1982.
It has a cross-shaped frame, supported by a mesh structure partly woven with string.
"We aim to show that the cross has not only a semiotic meaning but also a practical function," say the designers. "It was designed to fulfill a practical (sad) purpose."
"We aim to celebrate a new practical function of the cross," they add.
Humans since 1982 consists of Per Emanuelsson and Bastian Bischoff, two design students at HDK Gothenburg.
The lounger will be exhibited for two months at Röhsska Design Museum in Gothenburg, Sweden, this summer.
Photographs by Christoffer T. Duff.
- Dual Cut by Kitmen Keung for Sixinch
- Heat Shrink Series by Daniel Rawlings
- Lab-grown materials form fashion and fur…niture for Vivorium lifestyle concept
- Comme des Garçons swaddles models in fa…bric cocoons for Autumn Winter 2015
- Peter Marigold at Great Brits in Milan
- Quell & Company designs iPhone dock to b…e "at home in the home"
- Matali Crasset creates faceted presentat…ion cases from concrete
- Titanic by Luka Or for Monkey Business
- Heal's unveils first fabric collection s…ince 1970s
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories