Celebrating the Cross 1 is a lounger that incorporates a crucifix, created by Swedish design studio Humans since 1982.
It has a cross-shaped frame, supported by a mesh structure partly woven with string.
"We aim to show that the cross has not only a semiotic meaning but also a practical function," say the designers. "It was designed to fulfill a practical (sad) purpose."
"We aim to celebrate a new practical function of the cross," they add.
Humans since 1982 consists of Per Emanuelsson and Bastian Bischoff, two design students at HDK Gothenburg.
The lounger will be exhibited for two months at Röhsska Design Museum in Gothenburg, Sweden, this summer.
Photographs by Christoffer T. Duff.
- Money bowls by Arthur Analts and Rudolph… Strelis
- Lady Gaga's flying dress offers vision o…f how "we may all travel in ten years time"
- Tuyomyo by Frank Gehry for Emeco
- Musterzimmer at Depot Basel
- Domestic wind turbine by Ben Storan
- Kelly by Claesson Koivisto Rune for Tacc…hini
- Dezeen Watch Store: Vigorelli by Matteo …Ragni for Lorenz
- Call for entries to the A' Design Award …and Competition 2015
- Inga Sempé's modular pinboard for Hay t…idies away small items
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories