Celebrating the Cross 1 is a lounger that incorporates a crucifix, created by Swedish design studio Humans since 1982.
It has a cross-shaped frame, supported by a mesh structure partly woven with string.
"We aim to show that the cross has not only a semiotic meaning but also a practical function," say the designers. "It was designed to fulfill a practical (sad) purpose."
"We aim to celebrate a new practical function of the cross," they add.
Humans since 1982 consists of Per Emanuelsson and Bastian Bischoff, two design students at HDK Gothenburg.
The lounger will be exhibited for two months at Röhsska Design Museum in Gothenburg, Sweden, this summer.
Photographs by Christoffer T. Duff.
- Stitching Concrete by Florian Schmid
- Dezeen's top design quotes of 2014
- Design Talks at Design Miami/Basel trans…cripts
- Appo by Carlo Trevisani
- Vision EfﬁcientDynamics by BMW
- Saint James and Simple Bridge by Jean No…uvel for Ligne Roset
- Disposable canvas layers rejuvenate Mode…l 1 shoes by Lou Moria
- Punkt. DP 01 by Jasper Morrison
- Pleats by USIN-e
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories