Celebrating the Cross 1 is a lounger that incorporates a crucifix, created by Swedish design studio Humans since 1982.
It has a cross-shaped frame, supported by a mesh structure partly woven with string.
"We aim to show that the cross has not only a semiotic meaning but also a practical function," say the designers. "It was designed to fulfill a practical (sad) purpose."
"We aim to celebrate a new practical function of the cross," they add.
Humans since 1982 consists of Per Emanuelsson and Bastian Bischoff, two design students at HDK Gothenburg.
The lounger will be exhibited for two months at Röhsska Design Museum in Gothenburg, Sweden, this summer.
Photographs by Christoffer T. Duff.
- Sunny Day by Aleksandra Stratimirovic
- Handmade Mass Production by Folkform
- Rene Siebum manipulates door handles to …explore the sense of touch
- Locker by Magnus Pettersen for the Stepn…ey Green Design Collection
- Designed in Hackney: Uniform Wares
- Gift light by Stuart Haygarth
- Ty-Bihan by Gaël Horsfall
- Kids’ Furniture by Bo Reudler Studio
- Le Soleil by Vicente García Jiménez
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories