Celebrating the Cross 1 is a lounger that incorporates a crucifix, created by Swedish design studio Humans since 1982.
It has a cross-shaped frame, supported by a mesh structure partly woven with string.
"We aim to show that the cross has not only a semiotic meaning but also a practical function," say the designers. "It was designed to fulfill a practical (sad) purpose."
"We aim to celebrate a new practical function of the cross," they add.
Humans since 1982 consists of Per Emanuelsson and Bastian Bischoff, two design students at HDK Gothenburg.
The lounger will be exhibited for two months at Röhsska Design Museum in Gothenburg, Sweden, this summer.
Photographs by Christoffer T. Duff.
- Cross by Karim Rashid for Freedom of Cre…ation
- Furniture by Jon Harrison
- Johnny Kelly's short film demonstrates t…he role of design in everyday life
- The Fantasy collection by Jaime Hayón
- Slow White Series by Bo Reudler
- Emilio Nanni's Spy chair features a thin… seat to expose its frame
- Hella Jongerius for Vitra
- V01 LED now available at Dezeen Watch St…ore
- Design Talks at Design Miami 08: transcr…ipts
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories