In the video Tosa discusses his 'nonsense machines' and the importance of performance in his work.
Here's some text about Tosa from Design Indaba:
An interview with Nobumichi Tosa at Design Indaba 2009 considers Tosa's quirky and inspired, youthful perspective made manifest in his limitless innovation. Tosa's inventions, which he refers to as "nonsense machines" foster his own playful mindset - a vision of what he calls a "bright peace" world.
With a Masters in Art from Tsukuba University in Japan, Nobumichi Tosa established Maywa Denki with his brother in 1993. Initially an exclusive art unit belonging to Sony Music Entertainment, it transferred its management to Yoshimoto Kogyo Co Ltd in 1998.
- Eley Kishimoto creates six geometric pri…nts for menswear collaboration
- Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty opens a…t London's V&A
- Kimono Chair by Tokujin Yoshioka
- Sometimes by Denis Guidone at Dezeen Wat…ch Store
- Dumbo by Tomek Rygalik for Moroso
- Peter Marigold at Great Brits in Milan
- Dezeen loves... Bitfall
- Water-catching device wins Arup competit…ion
- The Hidden Chairs by Ibride
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories