In the video Tosa discusses his 'nonsense machines' and the importance of performance in his work.
Here's some text about Tosa from Design Indaba:
An interview with Nobumichi Tosa at Design Indaba 2009 considers Tosa's quirky and inspired, youthful perspective made manifest in his limitless innovation. Tosa's inventions, which he refers to as "nonsense machines" foster his own playful mindset - a vision of what he calls a "bright peace" world.
With a Masters in Art from Tsukuba University in Japan, Nobumichi Tosa established Maywa Denki with his brother in 1993. Initially an exclusive art unit belonging to Sony Music Entertainment, it transferred its management to Yoshimoto Kogyo Co Ltd in 1998.
- Myrkr Chair by WORD
- Sneak preview: Marc Newson at Gagosian
- Delft Blue vases by Marcel Wanders
- Black Gold homeware collection by Quin…tus Kropholler is made of tarmac
- Studio 13/16 by Mathieu Lehanneur at t…he Centre Pompidou
- Stitched by Tord Boontje for Moroso
- Design Museum drops Designer of Year s…how
- Camper store Paris by Ronan and Erwan …Bouroullec (more images)
- Dezeen Platform: Sarah Colson
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories