In the video Tosa discusses his 'nonsense machines' and the importance of performance in his work.
Here's some text about Tosa from Design Indaba:
An interview with Nobumichi Tosa at Design Indaba 2009 considers Tosa's quirky and inspired, youthful perspective made manifest in his limitless innovation. Tosa's inventions, which he refers to as "nonsense machines" foster his own playful mindset - a vision of what he calls a "bright peace" world.
With a Masters in Art from Tsukuba University in Japan, Nobumichi Tosa established Maywa Denki with his brother in 1993. Initially an exclusive art unit belonging to Sony Music Entertainment, it transferred its management to Yoshimoto Kogyo Co Ltd in 1998.
- Pieke Bergmans' blown-plastic VAPOR ligh…ting "grows like a plant or animal"
- Chariot by GamFratesi for Casamania
- Firmship 42 by Studio Job
- Table Vic by Elemento Diseño
- Lights of the City by Manuel Alvarez Die…stro
- Eemeli and Betty by Lincoln Kayiwa
- PP Møbler launches Hans J Wegner chairs… to celebrate 100-year anniversary
- Haunted by 36 Woman by Ted Noten
- Morrison, Meda, Irvine and IDEO for Oliv…etti
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories