Called Change! the objects are intended to appear as if hewn from stone.
"Beyond the striking aesthetics, the design of the collection is based on the unexpected experience of using the material, which looks hard and heavy, but in fact is soft, flexible and light," say the designers.
The range includes a clock, a fountain and an LED lamp that can be turned on and off by squeezing it.
Each piece is hand-cut from blocks of foam.
Portrait by Jakob Hohmann.
Here's some more information from BCXSY, written by Rachel Griffin:
Welcome to the new Stone Age.
CHANGE! features furniture and home accessories built from rubber-coated foam.
While many foam products are machine-cut, BCXSY introduces an element of handwork. The collection is constructed from CNC-cut blocks, which are combined and then cut by hand, making each piece unique.
Different densities of foam are used for different elements, giving the collection both softness and structure.
Through the development of an innovative relationship between material and form, the resulting series earns it's title: CHANGE!
CHANGE! includes the following pieces: Rocklock (wall/table clock), Pebble Box (storage/cool box), Rock Bowl (fruit bowl), Stone Stool, Stone Coffee Table, Ishi (bear), Soft Vase, Squeeze Light (LED light with built in press on/off switch), Stone Spring (indoor/outdoor fountain) and Boulder Shelf (shelving solution, consisting of 3 units).
CHANGE! will be launched during the Salone Internazionale del Mobile 2009 in Milan at Spazio
Rossana Orlandi (Via Matteo Bandello 14/16).
See all our stories from Milan in our special Milan 09 category.
- Virtual reality: the 1990s technology …set to change the world of design
- "It's easy for young designers to get …stuck in Berlin"
- Decode: Digital Design Sensations at t…he Design Museum Holon
- Brackets by Nendo for Kokuyo
- Shih-Yen Lo's desktop tools offer simp…le ways to cut-out complex shapes
- Worth the Weight by Oscar Medley-Whitf…ield
- 360 degrés by Roberto Paoli for Ligne… Roset
- Viktor & Rolf Autumn Winter 2013 sceno…graphy by Studio Job
- Yi Chair by Michael Young for EOQ
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories