The heavily patterned interior includes mannequins with mirrors in place of heads.
Here's some more information from Marcel Wanders:
Marcel Wanders proudly announces the opening of Villa Moda Bahrain. Villa Moda is a multibrand luxury fashion store founded by Sheikh Majed, one of the driving forces behind fashion in the Middle East. For the interior design of Villa Moda, Marcel Wanders found inspiration in the traditional souk, creating a melting pot of cultures full of surprising details:
“The souk is the ultimate marketplace, a concentration of innovation and tradition, diversity and intimacy. Lose yourself in labyrinth passages and find yourself anew. We designed Villa Moda Bahrain as an international Babel of fashion, in order to share instead of divide. Meet the people of the own streets; shake hands and learn each other’s language.”
The prestigious Condé Nast Traveller Innovation and Design Awards 2009 short listed Marcel Wanders for the interior design of the Villa Moda store in Bahrain in the Retail category.
Lead Designer: Marcel Wanders
Design team: Marcel Wanders, Karin Krautgartner, Aino Kavantera
Location: Bahrain, UAE
Client: Sheikh Majed al-Sabah
Completion of Project: June 2008
Photography: Marcel Wanders studio
More Dezeen stories about Marcel Wanders:
- Saint Cyprien VTHR by Serero
- Hyper-realistic renderings of a proposed… cafe in Ukraine
- Note et Silence by Specialnormal Inc.
- Dezeen offices by Post-Office
- MPH Architects transforms "magnificent" …former car factory into education centre
- Project Orange reconfigures interior of …Hopkins' Tracey House
- W Hotels Designers of the Future at Desi…gn Miami/Basel 2011
- Isolation Unit completes Tokyo hair salo…n
- Papabubble at Tokyo Daimaru by Schemata …Architecture Office
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories