The residence includes a courtyard sheltered from the street by a high wall.
Photographs by Takumi Ot.
Here's some text from the architect:
House of inclusion
This house, located in a new residential area, is for a 30-something couple. Surrounded by other houses, the design goal was set up to block out the outside world while avoiding too much closure, as well as to provide rich and sensuous spaces.
First, a small patio and a path connected to it were laid out between the living/dining room and exterior.They are surrounded by a wall that blocks off the line of sight from outside. Planting and pond are laid out at the patio, so that the picturesque images of green and water are viewed from the rooms.
Enclosed by walls that create indirect light filling softly the entire room, the house presents sentimental scenes here and there. The living spaces and the life lived there are enveloped by green and light, creating an affectionate environment.
Architects: FORM/Kouichi Kimura Architects
Location: Shiga, Japan
Construction Year: 2009
Site Area: 215,35m2
Constructed Area: 151,71m2
Photographs: Takumi Ot
More Dezeen stories about FORM/Kouichi Kimura Architects:
- The Black Box by NHDRO
- Vo Trong Nghia unveils second prototype …for low-cost Vietnamese housing
- Soichi Yamasaki's Japanese nursery featu…res house-shaped windows and faceted ceilings
- 10×10 Housing Project by Tom Dixon, Shi…geru Ban, David Adjaye etc
- Pitágoras Arquitectos adds red timber w…ing to stone farmhouse in rural Portugal
- House Extension in Dublin by GKMP Archit…ects
- The Weather Room by Liddicoat & Goldhill
- House on Paros Island by React Architect…s
- 486 Mina El Hosn by LAN Architecture
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories