Flake House is a two-piece, transportable log cabin by French architects OLGGA.
Originally designed in 2006 for the CAUE 72 competition Petites Machines à Habiter (for which it was shortlisted), the cabin will be exhibited at the Festival Estuaire 2009 in Nantes, France next month.
Festival Estuaire runs from 5 June to 16 August.
Photographs are by Fabienne Delafraye, sketches by OLGGA Architects.
Further information from OLGGA Architects follows:
The flake house, a nomadic, road-gauged dwelling, has been conceived to clad the places wherever it lands, as to transpose them in an unusual vision. A poetic shelter, a “folie”, that merges low-tech and hi-tech. The interior finish is smooth and stripped down as to contrast with the traditional look of the external log cladding.
OLGGA sets-up its flake house on the Festival Estuaire 2009 à Nantes
Created in 2006 for the competition “Petites machines à habiter” held by the CAUE 72, OLGGA’ proposal for this nomadic wooden shelter is based on the concept of the "folie", where the wooden structure is broken in two halves establishing a radical spatial boundary while materializing an unexpected entry sequence.
An object, recalling a broken branch, whose unconventional scale is the main idea of the project: to be built-up, taken down, moved, put down, left behind or taken along, inhabited or left to it’s surrounding.
First a short-listed entry in the competition that gave birth to the concept, then winner of the “Lauriers de la construction bois” of the Salon du Bois in Grenoble in 2007, the flake house causes curiosity and desire.
This year, it is in Nantes (FRANCE) where it will lay home between the 5 june and 16 august at the Festival Estuaire Nantes/ St Nazaire organized by the Lieu Unique.
The Flake house will be located on the site of Frossay (Le Carnet). I.C.I.! (Instant Carnet Island) is a temporary refuge of micro-architectures and light habitat meeting based on the bank of the Loire and open to anybody.
At the end of the festival, the flake house will find a new owner..... The units will be on auction via internet.
- Garden Tree House by Hironaka Ogawa
- New Pinterest board: red buildings
- Zig-zagging balconies create sculptural …facade for Ragnitzstrasse 36 apartment block
- Holy Cross House by TBA hides a multi-le…vel courtyard behind a "working-class facade"
- House of Inclusion by FORM/Kouichi Kimur…a Architects
- Looping wooden viewing platform in China… built by students in just six days
- Cleveland Museum of Art East Wing by Raf…ael Viñoly Architects
- Rubber House by Zeinstra van Gelderen ar…chitecten
- Skewed concrete chapel by EMC Arquitectu…ra balances over a mountainside in El Salvador
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories