New York architects Diller Scofidio + Renfro have won a competition to design the Museum of Image and Sound in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
The building will include galleries, education rooms, an auditorium, a cafe, bars and restaurant, and an outdoor cinema on the roof.
Construction is due for completion in 2011.
More stories about Diller Scofidio + Renfro:
Images courtesy of Diller Scofidio + Renfro.
Here's some more information from the architects:
MUSEUM OF IMAGE & SOUND
Museum, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2011
The architecture of the Museum of Image and Sound takes Copacabana Beach as its inspiration: its coastline, its wraparound building wall, its mountains, and its distinctive beach promenade designed by Roberto Burle Marx. The promenade captures the key element of the beach—a space of the public in motion—on foot, bicycle and automobile. The building is conceived as an extension of that boulevard, stretched vertically into the museum.
The “Vertical Boulevard” gestures toward inclusiveness: it gently traverses indoor and outdoor spaces and branches to make galleries, education programs, spaces of public leisure and entertainment. The building inherits the DNA of Burle Marx but radically reorients his public surface upward into a thickened façade for the new museum. The vertical circulation sequence connects the street with the building’s entertainment programs—from the clerestory view into the Auditorium at street level, to the elevated Terrace Bar and Cafe, the Piano Bar at the third level, the Restaurant at the sixth, and outdoor cinema at the roof.
The building is also conceived as an instrument to observe the city in a new way. The panoramic view before it, overexposed to tourists in the hotels and restaurants of Copacabana Beach while restricted for many residents, is perhaps the central image at stake. Through framing strategies, the skin of the MIS curates this view for the visitor moving through the gallery sequence.
- Supermachine Studio adds labyrinthine …staircase to seaside park in Thailand
- Long Window House by Another Apartment… has no windows or doors on its front
- 3013 Installation at the Architectural… Association
- House in Sanbonmatsu by Hironaka Ogawa
- Sky is the Limit by Didier Faustino
- Lehmann Maupin Gallery Hong Kong by OM…A
- Cloverdale749 apartments by LOHA featu…re balconies screened by perforated metal panels
- Deck House by Assadi + Pulido
- Haworth Tompkins completes renovation …of Denys Lasdun's National Theatre
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories