Called House Bierings, the timber-clad building has different shaped windows protruding from it's surfaces at various angles on all sides.
A deep porch leads through the entrance hall to a kitchen with a large glass window overlooking the garden.
Each window is positioned to obscure views of neighbouring buildings and frame views of the countryside beyond.
Photos are copyright Christian Richters/VIEW and used with permision.
Here's some more information about the house from Rocha Tombal's website:
From a basic form, defined by the municipal urban plan, sculptural “eyes” emerge with direct views to the varied countryside landscape.
The form and orientation of the building avoid visual contact with the adjacent houses: at the ground floor the angled ceiling of the kitchen accentuates the intensive contact with the garden.
On the first floor, the different shaped openings in the roof and façade offer, like “fingers of light”, varied daylight experiences.
The routing through the house starts in the hall, a section of the ground floor volume.
After experiencing the entrance area and passing the gigantic pivoted door, the visitor arrives at the “heart of the house”, the kitchen.
Here he looks through the big glass wall straight into the garden, which suggests being outside again.
Behind him, the stair cuts a wooden wall inviting to follow the route towards the first floor.
Its angled form and extreme proportions (small and high) and the daylight entering from the ceiling, offer the feeling of walking in a medieval street.
At the end of it he discovers the living room, a quiet, north-lighted attic space, from which a big opening exposes the surrounding green like in a framed painting.
- Funeral Chapel in Ingelheim Frei-Weinhei…m by Bayer & Strobel Architekten
- Extension to a house in Chaville by CUT …Architectures
- Elisabeth and Helmuth Uhl Foundation by …Modostudio
- Shintaro Fukuhara's family home has a gl…ass facade like "a showroom"
- The Robert and Yadelle Sklare Family Lib…rary by Schwartz Besnosoff Architects
- Faceted concrete T-shape facade fronts c…ourtyard house in Santa Fe
- Casa das Histórias Paula Rego by Eduard…o Souto de Moura
- Large Roof House by Architect Cafe
- Ben Rousseau at the Ice Hotel
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories