Industrial Facility say that this improves the efficiency of the clock, using fewer components and creating a louder ring.
Called Bell, the alarm clock was designed for Japanese design brand IDEA.
The product is available in three colours, each inspired by a loud object: a fire bell (red), bicycle bell (chrome) and door bell (black).
More Dezeen stories about Industrial Facility:
See all our stories about London Design Festival 2009 in our special category.
Here's some text from Industrial Facility:
Project: Bell Alarm Clock
Client: IDEA Japan
Description: Bell is a new alarm clock designed by Industrial Facility, who have been working with IDEA International of Japan to develop a group of products where design is engaged beyond novelty.
'Bell' re-examines the world of the analogue alarm clock; by moving the bell component to form part of the clock's body, it saves components, simplifies the appearance, and creates a much louder ring.
Bell is louder than a mobile phone, a desk clock or a watch.
This loudness is reflected in the choice of colours: Fire bell Red, Bicycle bell Chrome, and Door bell Black.
It features a no-nonsense interface with snooze control, moulded numeral display and LED illumination.
- Droog to show everything at Design Post
- Graham Fan's graduate fashion collection… evokes metallic pan scourers
- BCXSY's Mixed Animals magnetic soft toys… launch on Kickstarter
- Il Hoon Roh weaves carbon fibre string i…nto curved armchair
- Dezeen Watch Store winter sale: 20% off …best-selling watches
- Installation and crystal glasses by Maxi…m Velčovský for Lobmeyr
- ID Chair Concept by Antonio Citterio for… Vitra
- Centanni Stool by James Irvine for Disci…pline
- Carl Malmsten made me do it by David Eri…csson
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories