Called Unintended Functions, the project also includes a shelf and drawer bursting out from under the plaster.
Photographs are by Polina Osherov Photography.
Here's some more text from Nick Allman:
As a studio furniture maker Allman strives to blur the line between furniture and art. By creating a narrative of destruction in the series Unintended Functions, Allman’s conceptual furniture forms question the boundaries of design and challenge the viewer’s notion of a functional, well- crafted object.
Like an improvised stool made from a tree stump, their utility is initially masked by their raw form.
At first glance they appear to be nothing more than destroyed walls, but with time their utility becomes apparent and they are assimilated into the space as furniture objects. This process of shock, acceptance, and eventual utilization as a furniture form questions the need for refinement in a functional object.
The materials and processes utilized to create these pieces flirt with question of what constitutes craft. Though it is clear to the viewer that the maker of these forms implemented traditional craft processes in their creation, the motivation is not clear. This ambiguity forces the viewer to consider the role of craft in the work and eventually raises the question; is it merely incidental?
Nick Allman is an Indianapolis based designer. He will complete his BFA in furniture design at Herron School of Art and Design in the spring of 2010.
EMT conduit, drywall, light
Mahogany, walnut, maple, drywall
Edition of 4
- Kinetic louvres move in three dimensio…ns to screen sunlight from any angle
- Daniela Sherer animates "twist on a We…stern" for Tom Rosenthal music video
- Cosmic Angel, Cosmic Ocean and Cosmic …Leaf by Ross Lovegrove for Artemide
- Seamless collection by Zaha Hadid
- Pharrell Williams and G-Star RAW trans…form ocean plastic into denim collection
- Stair by JDS Architects for Bench 10
- Andrés Jaque's giant water purifier u…nveiled in MoMA PS1 courtyard
- Bellows by Benjamin Hubert for Nava
- Enamel by Hella Jongerius
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories