Entitled Sticks, the project was inspired by the game of Mikado or Pick-up Sticks, where players try to remove individual sticks from a scattered pile without disturbing the others.
The installation was in place until last week.
Photographs are by Nacasa & Partners.
Here's some more information from Moureaux:
Sticks by Emmanuelle Moureaux
Balance out of balance
ISSEY MIYAKE women, men, PLEATS PLEASE ISSEY MIYAKE.
411 sticks connecting the three spaces
Their colors and shadows float and overlap, creating a new space with a new appearance.
Like flown away into space and floating there, the sticks spread all around the space. As if time stands still, “a balance out of balance” is created.
The concept of sticks was inspired by a European children’s game “MIKADO*”, which was often played before. The sticks randomly positioned as inspired by MIKADO create tensions and chance balances, which were designed to become tangible forms.
It was designed to be structurally balanced in spite of its unbalanced appearance.
*A competitive game for neat-handedness by using bamboo sticks. You grab a bunch of sticks, let them stand on a desk vertically and open the hand quickly; this is where the game starts.
The sticks fall apart, the participants take turns to pull a stick quietly without moving the other sticks.
The next person takes turn when the other sticks are moved even if only slightly.
The same process repeats, and the participants are ranked based on their scores at the end of the game.
Design: Emmanuelle Moureaux
Location: ISSEY MIYAKE (women,men) / AOYAMA, TOKYO
PLEATS PLEASE ISSEY MIYAKE / AOYAMA, TOKYO
Sponsor: moph INC.
Cooperation:ISSEY MIYAKE INC., ONE_78
|Stick Chair by Emmanuelle
|Sugamo Shinkin Bank by
|24 ISSEY MIYAKE Shop
- Tord Boontje presents new Swarovski proj…ect
- Sotto Sotto by HRC Design Works
- Latticed oak screens reference tradition…al argyle at Pringle of Scotland's Chengdu store
- Snøhetta references religious architect…ure for Aesop's 100th store
- Nature Factory by Makoto Tanijiri
- Harajyuku MTG point by Upsetters Archite…cts
- BIG's Hot to Cold exhibition opens at th…e National Building Museum
- Bagatti Valsecchi 2.0 exhibition by Ross…ana Orlandi
- Camper store Paris by Ronan and Erwan Bo…uroullec (more images)
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories