The REC pen (above) records sound through a microphone in its cap and records it as a line of magnetic ink, similar to the production of cassette tapes.
The PLAY pen (above) has a nib that reads music by tracing along the drawn line and plays it back through a speaker.
The pens run from power leads attached to a circuit board.
Here some more from the designers:
REC & PLAY pen by Yuri Suzuki and Oscar Diaz
REC & PLAY is a collaborative project between Yuri Suzuki and Oscar Diaz. Both designers, who met at the RCA, started tinkering a while ago with the intention to create an object that would combine drawing and sound.
The project consists of two pens that allow recording sound on a line and then playing it back. The REC pen, draws and record sound on a line. It contains especial ferromagnetic ink, made with the same component used to made old cassette tapes, a recording head and a microphone.
The ink is applied to the paper and at the same time the recording head can record the sound captured by the microphone situated at the top part of the pen. The PLAY pen allows retrieving the sound and playing it back. It contains a read head and a speaker.When the tape read head is moved along the line the previously recoded sound can be heard.
To reference and indicate each pen function, the pens use the color code used in old cassette recorders. The REC pen is red, and the PLAY pen, black. Both pens are connected to a circuit board and a power supply to feed the electronic components. The project, is part of "Sound Interjection" an exhibition featuring an extensive selection of Yuri's work, and will be presented for the first time at the KK Outlet in London.
by Oscar Diaz
|While You Sleep
by Oscar Diaz
- Seamless collection by Zaha Hadid
- Dezeen and designjunction launch map of… West End Design Quarter 2014
- Connected pedal protects bicycles from t…heft
- Aalto University students design chairs …from bright blue plywood
- Woodworker designs solid ash bike for "e…xceptional comfort"
- A Pound of Flesh for 50p (study) by Alex… Chinneck
- BaObab by Philippe Starck for Vitra
- Kulle daybed by Stefanie Schissler featu…res a bobbly surface
- PARCS by PearsonLloyd for Bene
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories