German-Taiwanese designer Béatrix Li-Chin Loos has created this series of spherical vases from layers of scrap wood, glass, cardboard and leather.
Called Beautiful Planets, the handmade vases each represent a different planet in the solar system and are made from material off-cuts and reclaimed leather straps.
The objects are all unique, as they are made of any available leftover materials.
Li-Chin Loos created the series for Galerie Gosserez in Paris.
Here's some more information from Galerie Gosserez:
Beautiful planets by Béatrix Li-Chin LOOS (2010/11)
Insolit sculpture vases, each one of which suggests a different planet of The Universe.
The series plays with the mix of materials (wood, cardbox, leather and glass) and with the contrast between the rugged and the finished surfaces, in order to reach a new esthetics.
Each piece is an unique eco-design creation, each one being different from all the others through choice of materials, particular veins in the wood, and above all the result of what material left overs are available at a given moment. Each planet is hand made and born out of the designer’s work.
The "mother earth - la terre est notre mère" motto serves as a reminder of our collective duty of care to our Planet. It's also Beatrix Li-Chin Loos' leitmotiv and the source of her ecogical inspiration.
Materials: Off-cuts of wood (elm, chipboard or medium), recycled card box, blown glass tube, recycled leather strap
Dimensions: diameter 15, 18, 21 and 28 cm
Beautiful planets collection is created in exclusivity for Galerie Gosserez. Unique pieces.
|Weld Vases by
|Wood Vases by
- Semi-Rigid Car by Emergent
- Plato's Collection by Amila Hrustić
- Madelene Björk at New Designers
- Piet side table by Hugo Passos for the S…tepney Green Design Collection
- Table-Palette by Kiki van Eijk
- 100% Design and Brompton Cross Design Di…strict video
- Masko spiky origami masks for shop windo…w mannequins by 3Gatti Architecture Studio
- Totemism: Memphis meets Africa at Design… Indaba Expo
- Droog to show everything at Design Post
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories