Japanese studio Yutaka Yoshida Architect & Associates have completed this concrete family home in Hiroshima, Japan.
A concrete slab extends out of the side of the three-storey house at the rear, creating a narrow terrace.
A free-standing burgundy spiral staircase in the corner of the space connects all three floors and leads up to a landing with a floor made of wooden slats on the top level.
Exposed concrete features throughout the interior.
Large windows at the rear of the house bathe the interior with light.
Photographs are by Tomohiro Sakashita.
The information below is from the architects:
This house is built in the residential area lined with the buildings which are a low-rise building to circumference adjacent to the park which is full of green.
2 stories did study, but chose 3 stories to own the garden in the south side among a rich connection of the outside space.
Mainly on the the second floor living that I joined together in direct stairs becoming two levels of colonnades from the entrance, a spiral staircase goes through a top and bottom floor.
The terrace which I pushed out and a screen by the aluminium sash wrap a place in the courtyard space of the form that is new in the vacant land that it was possible for on the site full the site that spread so that inside space protrudes.
I regard it as the wooden housing which hung the third floor floor with a steel frame to reduce building weight for 3 stories on the soft ground along the river.
The wooden floor inserted in a skeleton of the concrete of two levels of colonnades just shows the common joint which is constitution materials as makeup and forms a corridor in the shape of a drainboard.
Architect: YUTAKA YOSHIDA ARCHITECT & ASSOCIATES
Location: Hiroshima, Hiroshima, Japan
Project area: 119.73sqm
Project year: 2010
|Himeji Observatory House by KINO architects||House with Big Spiral Staircase by Avehideshi Architects||House in Koamicho by
Suppose Design Office
- Rio 2016 Olympic Park by AECOM
- Folded facade gives a paper-like weight …to Yukio Hashimoto's F-House
- Yoonseux Architectes' school extension d…esigned to match autumnal tree leaves
- House in Hiro by Suppose Design Office
- Sports centre clad with sun-bleached woo…den slats by Explorations Architecture
- Vessel by O’Donnell + Tuomey at Venice… Architecture Biennale 2012
- Biblioteca Sant Josep by Ramon Esteve Es…tudio
- Abstract photography by Lewis Bush chron…icles the "aggressive redevelopment" of London
- Castlecrag Residence by CplusC Architect…ural Workshop
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories