Called Stitched, the collection includes a stool, chair and lamp.
The pieces have holes along each edge, through which thread is stitched to join them together.
The following is from the designer:
Stitched Collection - Tord Boontje
“For a long time, I have been interested in sewing and embroidery. When I was a child, my mother would show me how to sew and I made some clothes for myself (with her help). More recently I have used embroidery in my work on textiles and furniture. The action of sewing, creating holes in material with a needle comes back in pieces like the Rain Chair and Wednesday Table.
This time I started to think in a more functional way about sewing, the idea of creat ing holes in materials and connecting pieces with yarns. I realized that by stitching plywood components together it would be possible to create strong structures for furniture. After making scale models, I started experimenting in my studio with a full size chair. This led to the prototype for the Stitched Chair.
I like the idea that the stitching is a very simple, low‐tech way of making. As stitch ing is a very universal and ancient technique, it gives an almost tribal or folk charac ter to the pieces.
I imagined that someone could construct their whole environment in this method; the furniture and also the room itself, therefore we decided to start this as a small domestic collection that can expand in the future.“
- "I work best in a new field or culture" …- Hella Jongerius
- Ingo Maurer with Ron Arad
- YOY brings "humour to an ordinary room" …with light that projects its shade
- Tetra light by Peter Liversidge and Asif… Khan
- Folded Leaf by Claesson Koivisto Rune
- Chaneldrip by Pepe Heykoop
- Bust marble chair by Tomáš Gabzdil Lib…ertíny
- Guitars for OK Go by Moritz Waldemeyer
- Voltage by Iris van Herpen with Neri Oxm…an and Julia Koerner
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories