These shoes by Dutch footwear designer Marloes ten Bhömer are pressed from three pieces of leather.
Called Pressedleathershoe, they're made by soaking the leather in water then pressing it in a two-part mould.
The three pieces are then trimmed and assembled round a solid core.
The project was commissioned by design showcase Formula Fashion and will be on show at the University of Northampton from 22 August as part of a touring exhibition - more dates below.
Marloes ten Bhömer also designed a 3D-printed shoe that can be individually made to fit perfectly. See all our stories about shoes here.
The information below is from Marloes ten Bhömer:
Pressedleathershoe is made using a leather processing technique in which leather is soaked in water and pressed in between a two-part mould, forming it into a three-dimensional shape.
The leather parts are then dried, cut and assembled into one shoe, embedding the structure that gives the shoe it’s strength.
Blackpressedleathershoe is made from three preformed leather parts.
The project is a commissioned by Formula Fashion and on display are material tests, mould parts, vacuum formed design tests and the final shoe.
Materials: leather and plastics
Formula Fashion is part of Igniting Ambition, a Cultural Olympiad programme in the East Midlands. Formula Fashion is showcasing new commissioned works inspired by a fusion of motorsport, art, leatherwork and cutting edge design. Other exhibitors: Kei Ito, Aasen Stephenson, Genevieve Bennett and Jo Cope.
Silverstone Circuit, 8 June 2011 – 9 June 2011
Silverstone Circuit, 8 July 2011 – 9 July 2011
Silverstone Circuit, 22 July 2011 – 24 July 2011
The University of Northampton, 22 August – 5 September 2011
Northampton Museum and Art Gallery, 8 September – 21 September 2011
The National Centre for Craft & Design Sleaford, 24 September – 6 November 2011
Partners: Silverstone Holdings Ltd, Northamptonshire County Council, South Northamptonshire Council, Northamptonshire Enterprise Limited, University of Northampton (incorporating the School of Arts), Design Factory.
- The Bradley tactile timepiece launches i…n Europe at Dezeen Watch Store
- Walking Shelter shoes by Sibling transfo…rm into a tent
- Hollywood Chandelier for the Stepney Gre…en Design Collection
- Iranzo, Rittler and Kesting create cocoo…n-like "cloud" installation
- Designed in Hackney: Side Table by Jaspe…r Morrison for SCP
- Companions by Studioilse for De La Espad…a
- Jeffrey Heiligers tailors Posture garmen…ts to prevent hunched backs
- Bethan Gray and Mitchell Abdul Karim Cri…tes design products influenced by Islamic patterns
- Christmas Tree Sledge by Tom Hatfield
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories