Called 100 Years After the Party, the series is inspired by a story Nakamura tells about a tea service left behind at the end of civilisation.
In the story, seeds land on the disintegrating porcelain by chance 100 years later, consuming the pieces in flowers.
Tent London will take place from 22 to 25 September at the Old Truman Brewery, Brick Lane, London, E1 6QL, UK.
Here some more details from Tent London:
Makiko Nakamura is a ceramic artist and designer based in London, and “What a wonderful world!” is a slogan of her creation. She has worked with ceramics in both art and design, making narrative one-off art pieces that have fantasy stories behind them. In addition, she has enjoyed making tableware that focuses on function, form and design. In the both types of works, Makiko combines sophistication and humor.
Anthology of daydream stories - 100 Years After The Party
Makiko creates her works from stories she generated with some inspiration and her works also play a role as media to approach the stories behind them.
One hundred years after the party, all the luxury furniture and ornaments in the room have rotten and moulded, and only porcelain tea set has been left. Gorgeous gold paint on the tea set has been washed away by rain and the tea set was absolutely lonely and miserable.
But on the day, one hundred years after the party, it is nothing short of a miraculous, beautiful bird dropping the seed on the tea set.
Then, leaves and germs come out and flowers bloom on it. The tea set has got a new life and not lonely anymore.
Happily ever after...
- "It will be the first proper OLED desk l…amp"
- Found Form by Enina Waelstham for Mormel…s design
- Kristina Cranfeld amplifies and distorts… facial expressions with Ownership of the Face masks
- Growing Jewelry by Hafsteinn Juliusson
- Rise by Hussein Chalayan
- Mini Me lamps by Filip Gordon Frank
- No.1 by Form Us With Love back in stock …at Dezeen Watch Store
- Skitsch launches in Milan
- W Hotels Designers of the Future Award 2…013 projects at Design Miami/Basel
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories