The circular roof of a metro station near Copenhagen looms over sunken platforms like a spotty UFO.
The station, designed by Swedish studio Metro Arkitekter, is located near to the airport on the route to the city centre.
The 52 spots that perforate the round concrete roof are skylights that filter daylight through to the two platforms below.
Narrow steel columns elevate the 45 metre-wide roof from behind curved glass partitions, which define the station’s perimeter.
At the base of these partitions, a curved concrete bench with teak edges circles the station.
Photography is by Rafael Palomo.
Here’s some more information from the architects:
Hyllie is the first station you reach when travelling by train from Copenhagen's Kastrup airport and is therefore Malmö's gateway to Copenhagen. This is no traditional station building - we have been working with other elements instead. The large round roof (diameter 45 m) - lit from below using uplights - hovers like a UFO above the station entrance. The roof is perforated by 52 round lantern lights which allow daylight to penetrate right down to the platforms, thereby eliminating any sense of an underground station. Daylight and lines of sight have acted as important parameters for creating a safe environment. The station is a regional and local train station with four tracks and two platforms. Bartenbach LichtLabor of Innsbruck are responsible for the lighting concept. The artistic decoration has been carried out by Kristina Matusch of Malmö.
Address: Hyllie Torg, Malmö
Architect: Metro Arkitekter AB through Claes R Janson (resp), Ola Arnholm (project architect), Carl Kylberg, Anna-Karin Joelsson (HL), Jörgen Åkerlund.
Other consultants: ÅF/ Sweco, Tyrens, Sweco
Constructor: Jernhusen AB
Building contractor: NCC
Area: 10 000 sqm
Material used: stainless steel structure, fiber concrete, fiber cement, concrete, glass, teak details and railings
- Observation Tower on the River Mur by te…rrain:loenhart&mayr
- Elevated office building by Jorge Mealha… folds around secluded plaza at technology park
- Suppose Design Office's House of Tousuie…nn has translucent plastic walls
- Lifted House by Masato Sekiya
- Clothing rails function as partitions in…side apartment and cafe by Alts Design Office
- Green Edge House by mA-style Architects …has a hidden garden around its perimeter
- OMA now preoccupied with "the countrysid…e and preservation" says Rem Koolhaas
- Jean Nouvel to design Serpentine Gallery… Pavilion
- Squish Studio by Saunders Architecture
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories