The judges described it as a "powerful gesture for an impoverished community, communicating a proud sense of Soweto as a special place." The "sensible, malleable, interesting interior" was "done in an amazingly short period" with a "magic transformation of sketches into symbols."
Inside world festival of interiors is taking place on the third floor of the Centro de Convenciones Internacionales de Barcelona until 4 November – see all our stories about Inside here, including interviews with the judges on Dezeen Screen.
Read more about this project in our earlier story on Dezeen.
- CAP Salt 2 health centre by BAAS Archi…tects
- Wooden Istanbul house converted into a… new office for Turkish tinned tuna company
- Eduardo Souto de Moura Concursos 1979-…2010 by André Campos and Pedro Guedes Oliveira
- Unexpected Welcome exhibition by Moooi
- OOZN Design creates cavernous cafe in …Jakarta using undulating timber slats
- Bird motifs dotted through monochrome …Kiev apartment by Olena Yudina
- Studio MK27's "bookstore of the 21st c…entury" was designed as a social meeting place
- Bobby Gin Cocktail Bar by Normal
- Leafy Shade by A-Asterisk
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories