The judges described it as a "powerful gesture for an impoverished community, communicating a proud sense of Soweto as a special place." The "sensible, malleable, interesting interior" was "done in an amazingly short period" with a "magic transformation of sketches into symbols."
Inside world festival of interiors is taking place on the third floor of the Centro de Convenciones Internacionales de Barcelona until 4 November – see all our stories about Inside here, including interviews with the judges on Dezeen Screen.
Read more about this project in our earlier story on Dezeen.
- New Pinterest board: offices
- Joris Laarman Lab at Friedman Benda
- Phillip Lim boutique by Jamo Associates
- Ninetynine converts Amsterdam laundromat… into cafe lined with wooden slats
- Tube Tank TRIWA pop-up shop by Mode:lina… Architekci
- DURAS Daiba by Chikara Ohno
- XML designs vitamin drinks shop for Amst…erdam's Red Light District
- Project: Office for Living by Jean Nouve…l
- Het Arresthuis hotel in a former prison …by Van der Valk hotels
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories