Take tea in serene silence with this silicone set by Hong Kong studio Kitmen Keung.
Silicone Duo deadens the noise of putting down a cup or stirring in sugar, with a stirrer made of steel coated in silicone and a large rectangular silicone coaster.
The coaster slopes inwards at one end to prevent the stick rolling away.
See more work by Kitmen Keung here.
Photography is by Greg Lin.
Here are some more details from Kitmen Keung:
Designed To Be Silent
Design studio Kitmen Keung has developed a silicone-made coaster and stirrer set for quiet public working spaces like office and library. Drink packs are commonly seen in an office nowadays where people are regularly in need of a quick cup of tea, coffee, chocolate milk, etc. whether or not during snack time or more often, in the middle of a long-hour work.
Due to this, mugs, coasters and stirrers have become inevitable drinking utensils in office. However, the fact that mugs and stirrers usually generate noises inspires a review of the connection amongst the two in a quiet public working environment like office or library.
Starting from such a point, the duo set, then, is designed to be silent, which consists of a coaster and a stirring stick. The 5mm thick coaster is made purely from silicone in an ordinary 4:5 ratio rectangular shape, and the stick is made of a thin steel rod wrapped in a layer of 1.5mm thick silicone skin. The coaster provides a 3cm wide secondary corrugated surface in the form of an inwards sloping edge, which neatly pulls the round-shaped stick towards and in parallel with the carved slots much like a magnet.
The softness of silicone material absorbs sounds when mug, stirrer and coaster hitting each other, which enables the whole stirring process proceeds silently in the quiet working environment.
Made from 100% food grade silicone
Endurable temperature: -40°C ~ 230°C
- SmokeStack by Frederik Roijé
- Penny Webb's homeware changes colour in …response to breath, touch or movement
- Morrison, Meda, Irvine and IDEO for Oliv…etti
- Matthew Hilton's new collection
- Volkswagen claims XL1 is "the most effic…ient production car in the world"
- Dolls by Viktor & Rolf at Studio Job Gal…lery
- Numen/For Use combines "height and wobbl…iness" in net staircase for Linz gallery
- Open-source visual identity for Eindhove…n by Virtual Design Agency
- Noose light by Ana-Maria Pasescu Stewart
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories