Funhouse mirrors are mounted on the gabled ends of this playground pavilion in Copenhagen, as well as behind the doors.
Completed by Danish architects MLRP, the Mirror House is a flexible space and restroom used by kindergarten classes.
The pavilion is clad in charred timber but its polished steel ends reflect the surrounding playground and trees.
Both convex and concave mirrors are mounted onto the backs of doors, which swing open when the building is in use to create an outdoor hall of mirrors.
Photography is by Laura Stamer.
The following text is from MLRP:
￼Mirror House at the Common
MLRP has transformed an existing graffiti-plagued playground structure to an inviting and reflective building as part of the new Interactive Playground Project in Copenhagen.
It is a play with perspective, reflection and tranformation. Instead of a typical closed gable facade the mirrored gables creates a sympathetic transition between built and landscape and reflects the surrounding park, playground and activity.
Windows and doors are integrated in the wood-clad facade behind facade shutters with varied bent mirror panel effects.
At night the shutters are closed making the building anonymous. During the day the building opens up, attracting the children who enjoy seeing themselves transformed in all directions.
With simple means it has succeeded to transform an existing, sad and anonymous building to a unique and respectful installation in the newly renovated park.
The roof and facade is clad with heat-modified wood and the gables and shutters are clad with mirror polished stain- less steel.
- Wardrobe in the Landscape by Enrico Scar…amellini
- Rogers Stirk Harbour's Cheesegrater skys…craper documented in timelapse film
- NAS Architecture's seaside Breath Box is… covered in mirrors that flap in the wind
- Pierres Vives by Zaha Hadid
- Vol House by Estudio BaBO
- Auditorium Atlantida by Josep Llinas
- "This isn't just some iconic skyscraper"… - Steven Holl on Sliced Porosity Block
- Designed in Hackney: the Orangery by Spa…celab
- Robert Dye Architects extends a London m…ews house by pushing out a wall
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories