Cologne 2012: these steel pendant lamps with a bulb in each end are on show as part of [D3] Talents at imm cologne, which opens today in Germany.
Designed by Lukas Peet from Canada, the Spotlight Volumes create ambient downward light while throwing a small spot of illumination upwards onto the ceiling.
The shades hang from a braided flex wrapped around their narrowest points, supplemented by a 1mm thick steel cable.
Each is painted in glossy white on the outer surface and a matte pale yellow inside to add warmth to the CFL light source, with a polished steel rim separating the two finishes.
Peet has also made a table lamp for the series, resting on a cork base and with a cork dimmer switch.
We published a set of cutlery by Lukas Peet that combines silver and ceramics back in 2010 - take a look at it here.
imm cologne continues until 22 January.
Here's some more information from Peet:
Inspired by spotlights, these pendant lights have an energy efficient CFL light bulb at either end. One illuminates the ceiling and the other the floor.
Shown here in three sizes, they can be arranged in groups or on their own. When arranged in a group they should hang randomly each illuminating a different part of the ceiling/floor.
The outer surface is coated in gloss paint, while the inner is hand painted with a brushed pale matte yellow to contrast the strong overall shape of the lights. The smooth gloss finish of the outside also contrasts with the texture of the visible strokes on the inside.
The Yellow of the inner shade is added to the light through diffusion, adding warmth to the cfl Bulb. The two finishes are divided by the polished steel edge. The lights hang from their braided electrical cord and a 1mm steel cable due to the overall weight. The physical connection of the electrical cord also communicates a clear separation of the two 'volumes' of the two shades.
Price on Request - Limited Production
Prototype - Seeking Producer/Manufacture
- WhiteOut by SpaceOperaForm
- Volkswagen claims XL1 is "the most effic…ient production car in the world"
- To celebrate World Toilet Day, here are …Dezeen's favourite unusual toilets
- Lex Pott's True Colours vases contrast o…xidised and polished finishes
- "There is a little bit of playfulness in… Orolog watches" - Jaime Hayón
- Stand table by Jakob Timpe slots togethe…r without glue or fixings
- Dezeen podcast: Ergonomics - Real Design… at the Design Museum
- Origami headgear folded to resemble myth…ological creatures
- Ross Lovegrove for KEF
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories