Imagine if our cities were built by fleets of flying robots. A group of robot helicopters were programmed to lift and stack 1500 polystyrene bricks into a six metre-high tower at the FRAC Centre in Orléans, France.
Gramazio & Kohler have previously created a robot called ROB that builds undulating brick walls and were the team behind the award-winning Structural Oscillations installation at the 2008 architectural biennial in Venice.
The architects think the robots could be a model for future forms of building construction.
The assembled installation in on show until 19 February 2012.
Read more about this project in our earlier story.
Photography is by François Lauginie.
- Casa Areia by Aires Mateus Architects
- Tinshed by Raffaello Rosselli
- The Clerkenwell Archway by Giles Miller
- Live Between Buildings by Mateusz Mastal…ski and Ole Robin Storjohann
- Aedas creates cavernous hollow inside Xi…'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University building
- 4am by dePaor Architects
- Box? Object? House! by Pitsou Kedem
- Arnau Vergés builds concrete outbuildin…g for 17th-century Spanish farmhouse
- +node by UID Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories