Imagine if our cities were built by fleets of flying robots. A group of robot helicopters were programmed to lift and stack 1500 polystyrene bricks into a six metre-high tower at the FRAC Centre in Orléans, France.
Gramazio & Kohler have previously created a robot called ROB that builds undulating brick walls and were the team behind the award-winning Structural Oscillations installation at the 2008 architectural biennial in Venice.
The architects think the robots could be a model for future forms of building construction.
The assembled installation in on show until 19 February 2012.
Read more about this project in our earlier story.
Photography is by François Lauginie.
- Interview with Bas Princen
- Intricately patterned fretwork surrounds… Alexander Diem's Villa by the Lake
- Northern Europe Migrants Organisation by… Felix de Montesquiou and Hugo Kaici
- Split Level House by Qb
- Canoes Landscape by Julio Barreno
- Saul E Méndez menswear store features d…oors and windows pulled out from the walls
- Living with Books and Art by UNStudio
- Raffles City Beijing sales office by SMC… Alsop Asia
- Villa extension by O+A
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories