Designed in Hackney: today's instalment in our showcase of the best design in the London borough of Hackney is this tiny printer by BERG, which aggregates digital data streams such as news feeds or social network updates and prints the information out on a till-roll to create a personalised miniature newspaper. You can also watch this movie on Dezeen Screen »
Little Printer connects wirelessly to the internet, and can be configured using a smartphone app to print a regular bulletin of subscribed online publications, as well as personal information such as to-do lists, memos or messages.
Rather than using ink, the printer uses heat to transfer an impression onto thermal paper, just like a till receipt.
A beta printer and app will be launched later in 2012 and will initially work with data from launch partners Arup, Foursquare, Google, the Guardian, and Nike.
Little Printer is the first product to make use of BERG Cloud, the company's online service that allows wireless devices in the home to be controlled remotely via a smartphone, without the need to connect them to a PC.
BERG have their offices on Corsham Street near Old Street.
Designed in Hackney map:
Blue = designers
Red = architects
Yellow = brands
Designed in Hackney is a Dezeen initiative to showcase world-class architecture and design created in the borough, which is one of the five host boroughs for the London 2012 Olympic Games as well as being home to Dezeen’s offices. We’ll publish buildings, interiors and objects that have been designed in Hackney each day until the games this summer.
More information and details of how to get involved can be found at www.designedinhackney.com.
- Batucada collection by Jahara Studio
- EOps Noisezero i+ Eco by Michael Young
- Download issues four to eight of experim…ental Milan newspaper FOMO
- Bird Nesting Bricks by Aaron Dunkerton
- Nendo's modular office tables create "ca…sual spaces for standing conversation"
- XS architecture vs XL furniture by Worap…ong Manupipatpong
- Dark Noon by Nendo at Dezeen Watch Store
- 300 Series Chronograph Calendar Wristwat…ch by Uniform Wares
- Bombay Sapphire Prize shortlist
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories