The surrounding mountains were the inspiration behind the textured concrete forms of a civic centre and police station in Mestia, Georgia, by German firm J. Mayer H. Architects.
Four asymmetric hexagons provide the elevations of the two-storey civic centre, named the House of Justice, which has glazed entrances at two of its corners.
The nearby five-storey police station has a crooked profile that bends out towards a road that runs alongside.
Glazing infills blob-shaped voids in the concrete facade of this building to provide windows that stretch across different rooms and floors.
Photography is by Beka Pkhakadze and Jesko M. Johnsson-Zahn.
Here's some more information about each of the projects from the architects:
HJM – House of Justice, civic centre, Mestia, Georgia
The House of Justice serves as a two storey civic centre for the people of Mestia, a village with a strong cultural heritage. Its concrete structure frames the spectacular landscape of the Caucasian Mountains. The building is part of an ensemble of new public buildings around the main central public plaza.
Project Team: Juergen Mayer H., Jesko M. Johnsson-Zahn, Danny te Kloese, Hugo Reis
Floor Space: 350m2
Client: Ministry of Justice of Georgia
Architect on Site: Ltd. Alioni 99
Mestia Police Station, Georgia
The project is situated in the heart of the old town of Mestia, next to the newly built city-hall. Its towerlike shape pays homage to the medieval stone towers which are traditional to Mestia’s mountainside region.
The facade is comprised of prefabricated textured concrete and large openings which offer a maximum of transparency.
Team: Jürgen Mayer H., Christoph Emenlauer, Hugo Reis, Danny Te Kloese
Preliminary Design: 2011
Function: Police Station
Clients: Ministry of Internal Affairs, Georgia
- Sifang Art Museum "gives you a feeling o…f mystery" says Steven Holl
- Pavilion made from 53,780 plastic bottle…s among AIA Small Projects winners
- Kompressor Station Egtved by CF Møller
- Swan Street Residence by Iredale Pederse…n Hook
- Perforated brick house by Tropical Space… is based on termites' nests
- TKTS Booth and Father Duffy Square by Ch…oi Ropiha, Perkins Eastman and PKSB Architects
- Grand Hyatt tower by UNStudio
- Max Dudler adds sandstone entrance build…ing to Hambach Castle grounds
- Timber summerhouse by Johan Sundberg exp…resses "Scandinavian architectural DNA"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories