Made from an aluminium composite, the shelf is folded into the shape of a W to create the two pockets that hold the books.
A computer-controlled machine manages the manufacturing so that each shelf can be cut, folded and engraved in a single process.
Here's some more text from the designer:
"Transitory bookshelf", 2011 by Robert Stadler
"Transitory bookshelf" points out a well known dilemma - books are piling up at home because we lack time to read them. This object combines two inclined platforms which help us to handle the situation : the "read!" section reminds us that we should take time to read; the "read." section's purpose is to digest books we have recently read before they disappear into the jungle of our main bookshelf. With its form, the Origami-like object reminds us a folded envelope. "Transitory bookshelf" is made out of 4 mm Alupanel®, an aluminium composite. The object is cut out, incised for folding and engraved by a CAD controlled machine in just one single process. "Transitory bookshelf" stacks and becomes extremely rigid once glued together.
"Transitory bookshelf" will be presented at the "Unlimited" show at Galleria Nilufar / Milano.
Opening on Monday 16 april.
- Circus tables by Formfjord for Offecct
- Ladder by Charlie Styrbjörn Design
- Desert Storm by Nir Meiri
- Frost by Mars
- Fuse by Note Design Studio for Ex.t
- Tsibi Geva hides Israel's Venice bienn…ale pavilion behind a wall of used tyres
- Hollywood Chandelier for the Stepney G…reen Design Collection
- Grovhugget anno 2008 by Jens Fager
- Trufa by Anton García-Abril
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories