Wooden sticks shield the facades of this house in Belgium by Ghent studio Architecten De Vylder Vinck Taillieu, while a tree bursts through the roof.
Screening exterior walls at both the front and back, the crisscrossing wooden batons feature integrated doorways.
Grey tiles clad the remaining two walls, the roof and even the chimney.
Clusters of missing tiles create openings for windows, while missing tiles on the roof give way for branches of the tree that is enclosed between the rear screen and the wall behind.
There are three storeys inside the house, where a chunky concrete frame is left exposed.
Photography is by Filip Dujardin.
Here's some more information from Architecten De Vylder Vinck Taillieu:
House Bernheimbeuk at GB.
A small site. A small house.
The small budget.
An even smaller house.
Square meters don’t matter.
Mechanics of living versus unexpected sense of space.
A small site. And huge trees.
Tree in house. Tree in room.
Room outside. The drawing.
Or, rather, the tree. Or, rather, the column.
Is the section of the column on which and around which the house rests.
A column that has become a tree. Among the other trees.
Structure. As starting point.
As finishing point. What is in between is a quest for making and imagining.
So how a column might be.
Design architects: architecten de vylder vinck taillieu (Jan De Vylder, Inge Vinck, Jo Taillieu)
Design team: Jan De Vylder, Inge Vinck, Jo Taillieu, Lauren Dierickx, Gosia Olchowska
Structural Engineering: UTIL Structuurstudies cvba, Brussel
Shell of construction and finishing: Bouwonderneming Verfaillie bvba, Beernem, client themselves
Carpentry: Dirk Janssens bvba, Zaffelare:
Roofing: Ducla bvba, Beernem
m2: 99 m2
Location: GB., Belgium
Design phase: 2009 – 2011 (delivered)
- Stonehenge Visitor Centre by Denton Cork…er Marshall opens tomorrow
- 1111 Lincoln Road by Herzog & de Meuron
- Burnham Pavilion by UNStudio
- "We thought Lloyd's building was the ult…imate in technology, but it's practically hand made"
- Kieran Long is new AJ editor
- Concrete and glass house completed by Ar…rhov Frick in a Swedish woodland clearing
- Viamala Raststätte Thusis by Iseppi/Kur…ath
- House in a car park by Alts Design Offic…e hides a covered passage behind its walls
- Polish Pavilion for Shanghai Expo 2010 b…y WWAA Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories