This family house by architect Naoko Horibe features a traditional Japanese-style room with tatami mats inside a protruding, timber-clad mezzanine.
The washitsu (Japanese-style room) is a common feature in modern Japanese houses but in this h0use, rather than linking to the yōshitsu (Western-style rooms) via sliding shōji screens, it features internal windows offering views of the living areas below and children's bedrooms above.
Externally, the projecting tatami rood is clad in timber. The house is in Kyobate, a suburb in Nara Prefecture close to Osaka.
Photography is by Eiji Tomita.
Here's some extra details from Naoko Horibe:
House in Kyobate
This home for a family with young children centers around a Japanese-style mezzanine with tatami flooring.
Extending out into the first floor living/dining/kitchen area, and with a view of both that room and the second floor children's rooms, the mezzanine serves to link the various spaces within the home.
It also accents the building's exterior, pushing out beyond the rest of the facade.
From the central mezzanine to the linked children's rooms and the living/dining/kitchen area with its vertical void, this home offers a diversity of living spaces that come together to provide a fun and stimulating environment for the residents.
Design to completion: March 2011-August 2011
Location: Nara-Shi, NARA
Primary usage: Residence
Structure: wooden construction, two stories above ground
Family structure: Couple with two children
Site area: 165.34 m2
Building area: 52.17 m2
Total floor space: 93.58 m2
Architect: Naoko Horibe
2. shoe closet
3. Living room & Dining room
8. Drying place
9. Parking space
10. Tatami room
11. Child's bedroom
12. Master bedroom
- Telus Sky by BIG with Dialog
- The Wyckoff Exchange by Andre Kikoski Ar…chitect
- Movie: Shopping Roof Apartments by OFIS …Arhitekti
- Angular wooden extension to a house in P…aris by MIR architectes and Nicolas Hugoo
- Poohtown by Nick Elias uses Winnie-the-P…ooh to bring happiness to 1920s Slough
- Hannibal Road Gardens by Peter Barber Ar…chitects
- Apartment buildings by Group8asia clad i…n strips of travertine stone
- Tribeca by Alison Brooks Architects
- Chilean seaside house by LAND Arquitecto…s designed to "catch the views"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories