Movie: basketball games have become so aggressive that sports brand Nike decided to include combat pads in its latest kit, explains the brand's global creative director for the Olympics Martin Lotti in the next Dezeen movie in anticipation of tomorrow’s exclusive event at the Nike+ House of Innovation.
When creating the Nike Basketball Hyper Elite Uniform, Nike's designers asked players where they received the most bruises and integrated Nike Pro combat pieces under the jersey at these points.
They also noticed players using the inside of the shirt's neck to wipe away sweat during a game and integrated textured fabric there to wipe the face more effectively.
The shorts alone weigh 58% less than those currently worn by NBA players, equivalent to a can of fizzy drink.
Each kit is made of 22 recycled plastic bottles.
- Chaneldrip by Pepe Heykoop
- Dezeen and International Design Forum
- Circle or Dot by Giha Woo
- Dezeen Watch Store: MY03 Hacker availabl…e in three new colours
- Chris Kabel casts found objects in bronz…e for Fogo Island hotel key fobs
- Phurniture shows Morel’s Computational… Chair
- Dezeen Platform: Fraser Ross
- Paper Pulp Helmet by Tom Gottelier, Bobb…y Petersen and Ed Thomas
- Movie: Yuri Suzuki at Designers in Resid…ence 2012
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories