Movie: basketball games have become so aggressive that sports brand Nike decided to include combat pads in its latest kit, explains the brand's global creative director for the Olympics Martin Lotti in the next Dezeen movie in anticipation of tomorrow’s exclusive event at the Nike+ House of Innovation.
When creating the Nike Basketball Hyper Elite Uniform, Nike's designers asked players where they received the most bruises and integrated Nike Pro combat pieces under the jersey at these points.
They also noticed players using the inside of the shirt's neck to wipe away sweat during a game and integrated textured fabric there to wipe the face more effectively.
The shorts alone weigh 58% less than those currently worn by NBA players, equivalent to a can of fizzy drink.
Each kit is made of 22 recycled plastic bottles.
- KK Outlet by Fashion Architecture Taste
- Drawings on the London Olympics by Clo'e… Floirat
- Readme by Peter Böckel
- Secondome Edizioni by 5.5 designers, Sam… Baron, Joost van Bleiswijk and Kiki van Eijk
- The Reflection Range by Kim Thome at Sho…w RCA 2012
- Noughts and Crosses tables by Michael So…deau for Modus
- Tokujin Yoshioka installation at Design …Miami
- Thanks for the Sun colour-changing lamps… by Arnout Meijer
- Stuff by Marina Ralph
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories