Spanish studio Ripolltizon added this family home onto the end of a row of traditional houses in Mallorca, Spain.
The house has small street-facing windows to respect the existing streetscape. It matches the height of its neighbour on one side and rises an extra half-storey on the other, where it borders an empty plot.
"We've taken into consideration the relationship of the project to the urban fabric, the volume of the neighbour's houses and the way they relate to the street," said architects Pep Ripoll and Juan Miguel Tizón.
To compensate for the small windows, a large skylight lets natural light down onto the upper storey, while a void in the first floor lets it through to the ground floor.
Split levels divide rooms on both floors, to correspond with the site that slopes upwards towards a second street at the back.
Painted ceiling beams are left exposed on the wooden ceilings, while glass screens provide banisters for staircases and balconies.
The project was completed in 2008.
Here's some project details from RipollTizon:
Ferriol House by RipollTizon
Architects: Pep Ripoll and Juan Miguel Tizón
Collaborators: Xisco Sevilla (architect)
Quantity Surveyor: Rafael Jaume
Structural Engineer: Jorge MartínContractors: Jaume Danús. Construccions Creatives SL
Project Area: 300 sqm
Budget: 177.101 EUR
Start of Design: 2005
Year of Completion: 2008
Location: 5 Unió St. Maria de la Salut. Mallorca. Spain
Floor plans - click above for larger image
Section - click above for larger image
Street elevation- click above for larger image
- Built to Wear by Ball-Nogues Studio
- Mont Saint-Michel bridge by Dietmar Feic…htinger opens to pedestrians in Normandy
- Longgang City Centre by Mecanoo architec…ten
- Strawscraper by Belatchew Arkitekter
- NYC gets first Grimshaw bus stop
- Art Institute of Chicago Modern Wing by …Renzo Piano Building Workshop
- Distance of Fog by StudioGreenBlue
- Schaustelle by J. Mayer H.
- Praud's Leaning House is tilted upwards …to maximise exposure to views and sunlight
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories