World Architecture Festival 2012: Australian architect John Wardle tells Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs how small projects can be "a good grounding for research and testing of ideas" in this movie we filmed about his award-winning Shearer's Quarters at the World Architecture Festival earlier this month.
The building, which picked up the award in the villas category, provides a guesthouse alongside Wardle's own farmhouse on an island off the coast of Tasmania. The architect explains how the volume of the building employs "a series of geometric shifts" that transform it from "a skillion at one end" to "a gable at the other". The structure is also based on a strict geometric grid that dictates "all the windows, the doors, the joinery and the room dimensions".
The new building is clad in corrugated iron, which Wardle describes as "the traditional material for agricultural sheds" in the area. "But as it reveals itself it opens up to a completely timber-lined interior," he says. This interior accommodates visiting family and friends, as well as travelling sheep shearers and Wardle discusses how "the social culture of shearing is a wonderful bit of theatre."
Wardle also explains how his Melbourne-based practice usually works on larger projects and describes how the retention of water is an important aspect in the environmental management of any new building in Australia. He states the importance of bringing building back to cities to prevent urban sprawl and says that: "Now is the time for considering the way that cities shape themselves and develop."
We’ve filmed a series of interviews with award winners at the World Architecture Festival, which we’re publishing over the next few days – see our interview about the World Building of the Year with architect Chris Wilkinson and our interview with the shopping centre winner Mark Dytham.
- Bottière Chenaie by Block Architects
- "Some of the best minds of the world are… based in Britain," says Thomas Heatherwick
- Landmark architecture helps turn Miami i…nto the "capital of Latin America"
- National Convention and Exhibition Centr…e, Tianjin by GMP Architekten
- Une Architecture at the Mobile Art Pavil…ion by Zaha Hadid
- Greenland Group Suzhou Center by SOM
- Silo Stay Little River by F3 Design
- 76A Newington Green by Amenity Space
- London 2012 Velodrome by Hopkins Archite…cts
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories