Designer Magnus Pettersen talks about his Locker side table and how he was attracted to east London because it has a "good vibe for any creative industry" in this movie filmed by Dezeen.
"I'm attracted to east London due to the feel of the whole place, and also it's a good vibe for any creative industry whether it's furniture design, graphic design or even advertising," says Pettersen.
He contributed a blackened ash and aluminium side table from his Locker furniture series to the Stepney Green Design Collection.
"The inspiration for the series came from those industrial lockers you find in factories in the sixties," he explains, also citing the luxury of eighteenth century France and the proportions of designs from the mid-twentieth century as muses.
The aluminium used for the side table drawer, anodised to create a unique colour, is punctured with small holes and folded over at the top to create the drawer handle. Pettersen's studio is in Stoke Newington, east London, close to Dezeen's office.
The Stepney Green Design Collection consists of 10 products selected by Marcus Fairs of Dezeen from creatives who live near to VIVO, a new housing development in the east London district. The project also includes objects chosen by east London bloggers Pete Stean of Londoneer and Kate Antoniou of Run Riot.
The collection is on show at the Genesis Cinema, 93-95 Mile End Road, Whitechapel, London E1 4UJ, from 10am to 10pm every day until January. After this, the objects will be given to VIVO residents.
See all the items in the Stepney Green Design Collection here and watch the movies we’ve featured so far here. The music featured in the movies is by American designer and musician Glen Lib. You can listen to the full track on Dezeen Music Project.
- Kotaro Horiuchi creates a paper hideout …for Fusionner 3.0 installation
- Perles necklace collection by Ronan and …Erwan Bouroullec
- Conceptual machine designed for 3D-print…ing meat on-demand in any kitchen
- Biome by Samuel Wilkinson
- Passing Cloud by Tiago Barros
- Styrene by Paul Cocksedge
- Geraldine Spilker combines ashes with re…sin to create mementoes of the dead
- Microbes are "the factories of the futur…e"
- Driverless cars designed for use as mobi…le offices
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories