The next movie in a series about the buildings of Slovenian practice OFIS Arhitekti features a social housing block on the outskirts of Ljubljana with a latticed facade inspired by local Alpine hayracks.
Named Hayrack Apartments, the building was completed in 2007 and contains a total of 56 residences that vary from small studio flats up to large, four-bedroom apartments.
OFIS Arhitekti designed the building with an L-shaped plan to frame a central courtyard and to avoid disturbing the roots of a 300-year-old lime tree that's also located on the site.
Wooden beams were used to create the criss-crossing and linear facade patterns, which are typical of old farms, barns and hayracks in the area. "Traditionally farmers use the beams to store grass and corn. On the housing facade one can hold flowers or other balcony decoration," explained the architects.
Textured grey tiles cover the sloping rooftops, intended to replicate the appearance of slate.
We first featured the Hayrack Apartments in 2007, just after the building was competed, along with a residential development of a shopping market.
This is the second movie in the series produced by Carniolus. The first features an Alpine holiday hut in a national park.
Photography is by Tomaz Gregoric.
Above: ground floor plan - click above for larger image
Above: first and second floor plan - click above for larger image
Above: third floor plan - click above for larger image
Above: roof plan - click above for larger image
Above: section A - click above for larger image
Above: section B - click above for larger image
- [C]Space Pavilion by Alan Dempsey and Al…vin Huang
- Jaroslavska Square by OFIS Arhitekti
- Vennesla Library and Cultural Centre by …Helen & Hard Architects
- Trellis canopy shades courtyard of Pergo…la house by Apollo Architects
- Movie: Shopping Roof Apartments by OFIS …Arhitekti
- 52 by Suppose Design Office
- Villa Geldrop by Hofman Dujardin Archite…cts
- CMA CGM Headquarters by Zaha Hadid photo…graphed by Hufton + Crow
- Shift Housing by AquiliAlberg
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories