Stockholm 2013: Swedish designer Marcus Abrahamsson devised this bollard with a foot rest and handle to help cyclists keep their balance at traffic lights.
Created for outdoor furniture brand Nola, bikers' rest is a steel tube with a domed top circled by two rings.
Positioned about waist height when on a bike, the upper rung can be grabbed by a free hand to aid balance.
The second loop just off the ground is covered over with extruded metal mesh to create a panel with improved grip for shoes.
"I wanted it to blend in with the existing crowd, the steel tubes and extruded metal mesh, they are all familiar materials in the urban landscape," says Abrahamsson.
- YO by Victor Vetterlein
- Parametric Space by Zaha Hadid Architect…s
- Table, Bench, Chair by Sam Hecht
- RAWtation by Adi Zaffran Weisler
- Jordi Bernadó removes doors from Mies v…an der Rohe's Barcelona Pavilion
- BMW Art Cars
- Analog Digital Clock iPhone app by Maart…en Baas
- "Kitchen design should be less masculine…" - Patricia Urquiola
- Kenyon Yeh's Flue vessels stack inside e…ach other
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories