News: after buildings that look like giant underpants and a stack of toilet rolls, here's a tower in Beijing that has been compared to a giant penis.
Seen from one angle, the scaffolding on the upper levels gives the tower an obviously phallic appearance, as internet commenters pointed out this week.
The 150-metre-high building, which will become the new headquarters for the Chinese state newspaper People's Daily, in fact has a wedge-shaped silhouette.
The Chinese government has attempted to block internet users in the country from searching for images of the building, but carefully worded messages have spread the word across Weibo, China's biggest social networking service.
"It seems the People’s Daily is going to rise up, there’s hope for the Chinese dream," said one message.
Others made creative use of Photoshop to illustrate how the tower might fit between the "legs" of the China Central Television (CCTV) headquarters in Beijing, which was designed by OMA.
- Raffles City Beijing sales office by SMC… Alsop Asia
- Cabaret Voltaire by Designliga
- Alvaro Siza’s first major project in C…hina floats in an industrial park
- DI-VA House by Tectoniques
- Copenhagen dance hall converted into off…ice for Danish law society
- Textile Shipping Containers by Overtrede…rs W
- Snowflake by Tokujin Yoshioka for Kartel…l
- Serpentine Gallery Pavilion 2007
- Black Cube House by KameleonLab
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories