News: after buildings that look like giant underpants and a stack of toilet rolls, here's a tower in Beijing that has been compared to a giant penis.
Seen from one angle, the scaffolding on the upper levels gives the tower an obviously phallic appearance, as internet commenters pointed out this week.
The 150-metre-high building, which will become the new headquarters for the Chinese state newspaper People's Daily, in fact has a wedge-shaped silhouette.
The Chinese government has attempted to block internet users in the country from searching for images of the building, but carefully worded messages have spread the word across Weibo, China's biggest social networking service.
"It seems the People’s Daily is going to rise up, there’s hope for the Chinese dream," said one message.
Others made creative use of Photoshop to illustrate how the tower might fit between the "legs" of the China Central Television (CCTV) headquarters in Beijing, which was designed by OMA.
- White Arkitekter adds a timber and concr…ete extension to a Japanese-style hotel in Sweden
- Mountain Lodge on Sognefjorden by Haptic
- Barneveld Noord railway station by NL Ar…chitects
- House in Tajiri by Kazunori Fujimoto is …a raw concrete home facing out to sea
- University model-making workshop by Atel…ier ARS features walls that fold open
- Herringbone Houses by Alison Brooks Arch…itects
- Trollbeads jewellery moves into a golden… headquarters by BBP Arkitekter
- House for elderly people by Aires Mateus… Arquitectos
- CF Møller's Villa R features a sunken s…torey for the clients' children
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories