The platform heels of these shoes by graduate fashion designer Laura Papp are moulded from porcelain (+ slideshow).
"Textiles and laces were dipped into porcelain and then burnt, so the shape remains but the materials are destroyed," Papp told Dezeen.
The Porcelain Shoes are each as light as one kilogram due to the half-centimetre-thick heel walls and a pair can withstand weights over 160 kilograms.
Contrasting with the rough heels, smooth white leather is used for the vamps. Each has a different style of opening and slashes up the ankle at various offsets.
The platforms are angled inward from the heel and toe to create smaller soles, which are formed from rubber.
Papp recently graduated from Budapest's Moholy–Nagy University of Art and Design with a bachelor degree from the Faculty of Accessory Design.
The text below was sent to us by the designer:
This experimental project was for my bachelor degree. My inspirations were the stone surfaces of dripstones and Antoni Gaudí's Sagrada Familia. My goal was that the rustic features would show up in the heels. I imagined it in white, because it shows the plastics best. The right material was porcelain as it is able to imitate any fine surface, and one of the strongest materials.
The shoes could hold more than 160 kilograms but the platform is not heavy, only one kilogram, because the heel wall is only half a centimetre thick. Finally, three pairs of shoes are made from different gauzes. The vamp is made of leather, which contrasts with the platform. The homogeny and the rustic reinforce each other. The sole of the shoes are made of rubber.
- Rings by Adi Zaffran Weisler
- Wire Lighting Collection by Deadgood
- Maaike Roozenburg combines augmented rea…lity and digital prototyping to create smart fakes
- Nike Free Hyperfeel running shoe by Nike
- B&B relaunch Bellini’s Le Bambole chai…r
- Eileen Gray was "disappointed that she w…as forgotten" - Zeev Aram
- Lampada by Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec
- Series Three and Soft Series by Another …Country
- Today at Dezeen Platform: Clinton Sheldo…n
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories