Product news: these pendant lamps by German designer Oliver Schnick have raised collars that direct light up to the ceiling as well as down to the floor.
"Only minor changes or unexpected details are needed to give a product a lively character, which sparks the associations and emotions of the user" said Schick.
The designer used hand-turned aluminium to form the rounded shape of the lamp, then named it Ronde, a word associated with circles and rotation.
The surface is coated with an matte lacquer to give it a ceramic-like finish.
Ronde Pendant is available in two sizes and comes in either white, red, light grey, dark grey or black.
Other lighting designs featured on Dezeen recently include a sculptural timber lamp bent to the point of breaking and floor lamps with matching shades and bases. See more lighting »
GUBI sent us the following text:
With its simple yet lively expression The Ronde Pendant has all the qualities of becoming a future design classic and is sure to spark the interest of most design enthusiasts around the globe. Oliver Schick’s modern take on the classic pendant is his ﬁrst product for GUBI and will be launched in 2013.
The bell-shaped piece has reference to the traditional pendant lamp and the heyday of 1970s lightning design; however, in a modern interpretation. The unique detail of the opening on the top with an overhanging collar, bring forth associations of a jar such as vase or amphora. The hand-turned aluminum lamp shade with an ultramatt lacquer almost makes it look as if it was made of ceramics. The Ronde Pendant comes in two sizes and will available in ﬁve colors: Matt white, Rusty Red, Pigeon Grey, Anthracite og Charcoal Black.
- Marc Newson at Gagosian Gallery in Londo…n
- Koz Susani Design imagines food of the f…uture
- SIRE glasses by Aekae
- Kristina Cranfeld amplifies and distorts… facial expressions with Ownership of the Face masks
- Wall Saver by Sebastian Bergne for L’A…telier d’Exercises
- 200 Series Calendar Wristwatch by Unifor…m Wares
- Crystal Collection by Pour les Alpes
- Latis collection by Omvivo
- Vík Prjónsdóttir launches latest wing…-shaped blankets made from Icelandic wool
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories