News: six buildings have been shortlisted for this year's Stirling Prize, including the overhaul of Sheffield's notorious Park Hill housing estate (above), an elliptical chapel and a museum that mimics volcanic formations.
The RIBA Stirling Prize is awarded annually in recognition of the building that has made the greatest contribution to British architecture in the past year.
Other projects on this year's list include a house in the ruins of a twelfth-century castle, a suburban neighbourhood reinterpreting the rural architecture of Essex, and a medical school and bus shelter in Ireland.
Here's the full shortlist:
» Giant's Causeway Visitor Centre by Heneghan Peng
» Park Hill, Sheffield by Hawkins/Brown and Studio Egret West
» Newhall Be, Harlow, Essex by Alison Brooks Architects
» Astley Castle, Nuneaton, Warwickshire by Witherford Watson Mann
» Bishop Edward King Chapel at Cuddesdon by Niall Maclaughlin
» University of Limerick Medical School and Pergola Bus Shelter, Ireland by Grafton Architects
"The RIBA Stirling Prize is awarded to the building that has made the biggest contribution to the evolution of architecture, and nowhere is the need for fresh-thinking needed more than in housing," commented RIBA President Angela Brady. "The UK is blighted with unimaginative, poor quality houses that people don’t want to live in but have little other choice, so I am delighted to see two amazing and highly original housing projects on this year's shortlist."
She added: "All six shortlisted projects are ground-breaking in their own way – buildings that deliver more than could ever have been expected. Some of them, such as Park Hill and the Giant's Causeway Visitor Centre, are genuinely courageous in laying out a new visionary approach. This RIBA Stirling Prize shortlist is sending out the clear message that creative vision improves our lives."
The shortlist was selected from 52 RIBA Award-winners, which were revealed last month. The winner will be announced at a ceremony in London on 13 October.
Last year's winner was the Sainsbury Laboratory by Stanton Williams, while past recipients include Zaha Hadid and David Chipperfield. See more Stirling Prize winners »
- Thomas Heatherwick wins British Shanghai… Expo Pavilion competition
- House in Sonvico by Architetti Pedrozzi …e Diaz Saravia
- FCC Arquitectura slots family home withi…n stone walls of dilapidated farmhouse
- Consultorio en La Envía by Miguel Barah…ona and Luis Castillo
- "Small projects are good grounding for r…esearch" - John Wardle on Shearer's Quarters
- Makiko Tsukada's Grass Cave House featur…es rooftop lawns and a dark interior
- House in Sunami by Kazunori Fujimoto Arc…hitect & Associates
- Suppose Design Office adds double-height… dining room to House in Chiba
- Basque Culinary Center by VAUMM
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories