German designer Philipp Beisheim has designed a stool and side table that you inflate with a hand pump like a rubber dinghy (+ movie).
The side table features a wooden top supported by an inflatable base, while the stool has a blow-up seat resting on wooden legs.
You can watch Beisheim pumping up the side table in the movie at the top of this post.
The blow-up parts of the products are made from a durable synthetic rubber called Hypalon, commonly used to make inflatable boats.
Beisheim took the side table to last month's Blickfang designworkshop, where he told Dezeen: "It blows up in seconds. The material is a silicon-based fabric, which is actually used in the industrial area. It has a really strong structure, which makes the table a functional object."
"Making inflatable furniture allows the user to interact with the object in a different way by blowing it up," Beisheim said. "My inflatable furniture would be useful outdoors, camping, for temporary events or people with a small balcony without much space."
Earlier this month we featured more inflatable chairs by Chinese designers Ray Jiao and Yi Wang, which mould to the shape the sitter.
- AE+Y Mobile Phone by Yves Behar for Æsi…r
- Bilder & De Clercq by …,staat
- Design Indaba update
- Batucada light by Jahara Studio
- Tube Amplifier by Case-Real for Elekit
- Design performances in Basel
- Philip Michael Wolfson at Covent Garden …Super Design
- Richard Sapper "wanted to design a multi…-sensorial kettle" for Alessi
- Lianes, Roches, Conques by Ronan & Erwan… Bouroullec at Galerie Kreo
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories