German designer Philipp Beisheim has designed a stool and side table that you inflate with a hand pump like a rubber dinghy (+ movie).
The side table features a wooden top supported by an inflatable base, while the stool has a blow-up seat resting on wooden legs.
You can watch Beisheim pumping up the side table in the movie at the top of this post.
The blow-up parts of the products are made from a durable synthetic rubber called Hypalon, commonly used to make inflatable boats.
Beisheim took the side table to last month's Blickfang designworkshop, where he told Dezeen: "It blows up in seconds. The material is a silicon-based fabric, which is actually used in the industrial area. It has a really strong structure, which makes the table a functional object."
"Making inflatable furniture allows the user to interact with the object in a different way by blowing it up," Beisheim said. "My inflatable furniture would be useful outdoors, camping, for temporary events or people with a small balcony without much space."
Earlier this month we featured more inflatable chairs by Chinese designers Ray Jiao and Yi Wang, which mould to the shape the sitter.
- Erik Spiekermann's first fashion accesso…ries are printed like wearable graph paper
- Paralympic design: wheelchair rugby
- Mercedes designs G-Code concept car to r…educe emissions in China's smog-filled cities
- THREE packaging by Nendo
- Daast's Big Foot table sits on chubby wo…oden legs
- SuperDesign at Victoria House, London
- Lockheed Chair by Riot & Sollier
- Menu begins production of cloche-shaped …lamps by Grethe Meyer
- Dezeen Screen: Sweeper Clock by Maarten …Baas
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories