German designer Philipp Beisheim has designed a stool and side table that you inflate with a hand pump like a rubber dinghy (+ movie).
The side table features a wooden top supported by an inflatable base, while the stool has a blow-up seat resting on wooden legs.
You can watch Beisheim pumping up the side table in the movie at the top of this post.
The blow-up parts of the products are made from a durable synthetic rubber called Hypalon, commonly used to make inflatable boats.
Beisheim took the side table to last month's Blickfang designworkshop, where he told Dezeen: "It blows up in seconds. The material is a silicon-based fabric, which is actually used in the industrial area. It has a really strong structure, which makes the table a functional object."
"Making inflatable furniture allows the user to interact with the object in a different way by blowing it up," Beisheim said. "My inflatable furniture would be useful outdoors, camping, for temporary events or people with a small balcony without much space."
Earlier this month we featured more inflatable chairs by Chinese designers Ray Jiao and Yi Wang, which mould to the shape the sitter.
- Stilthouses and Bidonvilles by Arne Quin…ze
- Augmented reality road markings and sign…age "could be applied as a digital layer"
- Anna Czaniecka shapes kettle like mugs t…o save water when making tea
- Slim Office by Bertjan Pot
- Catch Chair by Jaime Hayón for &traditi…on
- The Wool Parade by Doshi Levien for Kvad…rat
- Issue No.1 by Laetitia de Allegri and Ev…a Feldkamp
- Join by BCXSY
- Ola Rune at Qubique 2011
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories