German designer Philipp Beisheim has designed a stool and side table that you inflate with a hand pump like a rubber dinghy (+ movie).
The side table features a wooden top supported by an inflatable base, while the stool has a blow-up seat resting on wooden legs.
You can watch Beisheim pumping up the side table in the movie at the top of this post.
The blow-up parts of the products are made from a durable synthetic rubber called Hypalon, commonly used to make inflatable boats.
Beisheim took the side table to last month's Blickfang designworkshop, where he told Dezeen: "It blows up in seconds. The material is a silicon-based fabric, which is actually used in the industrial area. It has a really strong structure, which makes the table a functional object."
"Making inflatable furniture allows the user to interact with the object in a different way by blowing it up," Beisheim said. "My inflatable furniture would be useful outdoors, camping, for temporary events or people with a small balcony without much space."
Earlier this month we featured more inflatable chairs by Chinese designers Ray Jiao and Yi Wang, which mould to the shape the sitter.
- Debug by Edhv
- Kit Yamoyo by ColaLife and PI Global
- New watches by Denis Guidone
- "In the East End there are always materi…als to be found" - Nina Tolstrup
- Silence of Shadows by Jin Kay
- Summer in the City by Michael Robinson a…t Dezeen Super Store
- Time Elapsed by Philippe Malouin and Lob…meyr
- Glass Experiences by the Campana Brother…s
- Lee Broom to create pastiche department …store inside empty shops for Milan exhibition
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories