German designer Philipp Beisheim has designed a stool and side table that you inflate with a hand pump like a rubber dinghy (+ movie).
The side table features a wooden top supported by an inflatable base, while the stool has a blow-up seat resting on wooden legs.
You can watch Beisheim pumping up the side table in the movie at the top of this post.
The blow-up parts of the products are made from a durable synthetic rubber called Hypalon, commonly used to make inflatable boats.
Beisheim took the side table to last month's Blickfang designworkshop, where he told Dezeen: "It blows up in seconds. The material is a silicon-based fabric, which is actually used in the industrial area. It has a really strong structure, which makes the table a functional object."
"Making inflatable furniture allows the user to interact with the object in a different way by blowing it up," Beisheim said. "My inflatable furniture would be useful outdoors, camping, for temporary events or people with a small balcony without much space."
Earlier this month we featured more inflatable chairs by Chinese designers Ray Jiao and Yi Wang, which mould to the shape the sitter.
- Andrée Putman for Gaia&Gino
- 10 architecture and design exhibitions w…e're looking forward to in 2015
- Takashi Murakami at MOCA
- Catch Chair by Jaime Hayón for &traditi…on
- Mission One by Yves Béhar & fuseproject
- On the Rock vessels by Lee Broom to laun…ch at Milan dinner party
- Hellraiser by Karim Rashid for Alessi
- In Case of Riot by Max Arlestig and Maxi…milian Gebhardt
- Street Style Urban Gnomes by Vitamin
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories