Proposed for a lot on West 57th Street in Manhattan, the building would be approximately 30 metres taller than the Empire State Building and would feature a stepped facade facing the street.
SHoP Architects designed the residential tower for property developers JDS Development and Property Markets Group, who submitted their plans to the city's Landmarks Preservation Commission last month.
It is unknown whether funding for the project has been secured but local sources report that the developer hopes to break ground early next year.
West 57th Street is one of New York's most fashionable locations and is just two blocks south of Central Park. Danish architects Bjarke Ingels Group have also designed a residential building on the street with one corner stretched upwards to form a triangular tower – see more stories from New York.
SHoP Architects is among four firms shortlisted for the redevelopment of New York's Pennsylvania Station and Madison Square Garden and has also proposed a masterplan for a former sugar refinery in Brooklyn featuring hollow skyscrapers surrounded by gardens – see more SHoP Architects.
Rafael Viñoly's Walkie Talkie skyscraper in London has been in the news recently for creating a reflection intense enough to melt cars, while the world's second tallest skyscraper topped out last month in Shanghai, China – see more skyscrapers.
- The Golden Age: Somewhere by Paul Nichol…ls
- HomeMade by Bureau de Change
- Indian Ocean Tsunami Memorial by Carmody… Groarke
- Zaha Hadid uses concrete and cantilevers… for Issam Fares Institute in Beirut
- Auditorium in the Church of Saint Franci…s' Convent by David Closes
- Micro Compact Home 016 by Richard Horden
- Hawaii Wildlife Centre by Ruhl Walker Ar…chitects
- Antas Education Centre by AVA Architects
- La Maison Beaumont by Henri Cleinge Arch…itecte
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories