Dutch Design Week 2013: Dutch fashion designer Iris van Herpen's Voltage collection featuring 3D-printed garments has been awarded the Golden Eye prize at this year's Dutch Design Awards.
Iris van Herpen's collection was shown during Paris Fashion Week in January and included two outfits made using additive manufacturing.
She collaborated with MIT architect and designer Neri Oxman and 3D printing company Stratasys to create a textured cape and skirt. An intricate dress made by selective laser sintering (main image) was designed with Austrian architect Julia Koerner and printed by Belgian company Materialise.
Van Herpen spoke to Dezeen about the garments in an interview for our one-off magazine dedicated to 3D printing Print Shift.
The Voltage collection also included outfits that looked like they were covered in white anemones and one piece built up from faceted mirrored triangles.
The jury commented: "With Voltage, Van Herpen gives the world a view into the future of fashion. It is impressive to see how she, at such a young age, succeeds in giving so much body to her work, without any loss of experiment and challenge. With her designs she shows better than anybody else what is going on in the Netherlands at the moment."
Also at the awards, graphic designer Femke Herregraven took home the MINI Young Designer Award. The judges called her a "subtle and intelligent social activist who is not afraid of complexity and proceeds in a thorough and restrained manner".
The awards were announced this evening at a ceremony in Eindhoven, as part of Dutch Design Week 2013, and all the shortlisted projects will be on show at Gebouw Gerard, Torenallee 62, 5617 BD Eindhoven until 27 October. The nominated projects are also collated in the Dutch Design Yearbook and there's still chance to win one of five copies in our competition.
Last year's top prize was awarded to an animation celebrating fashion house Louis Vuitton.
- Fattorini+Rizzini+Partners' MEET sofa co…mbines "sound absorption" with versatility
- London Design Festival 2012 photographs …by Barbara Chandler
- Shine outdoor furniture by Arik Levy for… Emu
- In Good Hands by Bruketa&Žinić
- BMW unveils Vision Future Luxury car wit…h augmented reality display
- Sinkhole Vessels by Liliana Ovalle at Gr…andmateria III
- Nendo patterns glass furniture for Glas …Italia with brush strokes
- Heat Shrink Series by Daniel Rawlings
- LaSelva's hexagonal Atlas tiles are patt…erned to match up at every orientation
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories