The three-tier Bookbinder Shelf by Florian Hauswirth features two ladder-like oak side frames and four shelves, joined by wooden components that hook under the side struts.
"It is a simple system with two screws per plank, which you don't need an instruction manual to put together," said Hauswirth.
The shelving unit can be enclosed by adding coloured panels to the ends or flaps with tabs to the front, which were made of cardboard covered with textile by a bookbinder.
"I adapted this craft and applied it to my furniture design," he said. "It is somehow logical for a bookshelf to incorporate a bookbinding technique."
His Bedroom Collection also features a bed and storage box for small items kept beside it.
The Radius Edge Bed features a simple curved joint on the legs. "Wooden joints are usually quite sharp and edgy, but as a tree is round it seems logical to break this craft tradition," explained Hauswirth.
The Bedbox is made in the same materials as the panels for the shelving unit. It features a flap on the top for storing a mobile phone and a drawer that pulls out from the front.
Hauswirth previously worked at Vitra and studied industrial design at the University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland. He currently works as a designer in Biel, Switzerland and teaches at Lucerne University of Applied Sciences.
Photography is by Stefan Hofmann.
- Making the Bocci 28 series chandelier
- Story Vases by Front
- Vanitas lamp by Charlotte Dumoncel d'Arg…ence
- Bench Years by Established & Sons at the… V&A museum
- Drone Shadows by James Bridle evoke the …presence of unmanned aircraft
- Radar chairs by Claesson Koivisto Rune c…hannel conversation
- Isom tables by Sebastian Scherer
- Lockheed Chair by Riot & Sollier
- Outrace by Kram/Weisshaar for Trafalgar …Square
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories