Holidaymakers can now spend nights sleeping beneath the surface of the ocean at this partially submerged hotel suite in the Zanzibar archipelago (+ movie).
Located 250 metres off the coast of Pemba Island, the Underwater Room forms parts of the Manta Resort, a holiday retreat on the mainland of the island, and comprises a three-storey floating structure with its lowest level positioned four metres beneath the water.
After being escorted to the remote suite by boat, guests use a staircase to descend to their underwater bedroom, where windows on every wall allow 360 degree views of the underwater coral reef and sea life.
"Some [reef fish] have taken up residence around the room, which affords them some protection from predators," said the resort owners. "For instance, three bat fish and a trumpet fish called Nick who is always swimming around and seemingly looking in!"
Coral is expected to grow around the outer walls, plus underwater spotlights are fitted below the windows to encourage squid and colourful sea slugs to come into view.
The structure was designed and built by Swedish company Genberg Underwater Hotels and takes its cues from Utter Inn, a floating structure on Lake Malaren in Sweden that was modelled on a traditional Scandinavian house.
Like this structure, the Underwater Room has a timber-clad upper section that sits above the water. This includes lounge and bathroom facilities, as well as a roof deck that can be used for either sunbathing or stargazing.
Photography is by Jesper Anhede.
- House in Nasu by Kazunori Fujimoto Archi…tect & Associates
- College Levi-Strauss by Tank Architectes
- Richard Rogers RA: Inside Out exhibition… at the Royal Academy of Arts
- Future Flower by Tonkin Liu
- Ben Waechter's Tower House makes the mos…t of an "unbuildable" Portland hillside
- Pacific Place by Thomas Heatherwick
- House at Alibag by Malik Architecture
- Oberkirch Media Centre by Wurm + Wurm
- "The concept was based on a football dia…gram" - Steven Holl on Campbell Sports Centre
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories