Named Egg, the ovoid-shaped decanter comes with a cork stopper and matching place holder, which allows the vessel to sit upright or tilt, raising its end.
"I have been interested in eggs for some time," explained Sebastian Bergne. "They are full of complications and meanings. It is in many ways perfection from the organic world."
When empty, the container stands upright. But when liquid is added the centre of gravity is lowered, allowing the top of the decanter to lean to 45-degree angles without falling over.
"Nowadays we usually associate perfection with geometry. The egg goes against this idea. In fact, if you've ever tried to draw an egg using geometry, it is surprisingly hard," said Bergne.
Egg was designed for French gift company Designerbox and is made from borosilicate glass.
"As this project is an edition piece for Designerbox, I also felt free to experiment with using a form so full of symbolism. It is not something we are used to reading in objects these days but it is always there and we should not forget it," added the designer.
The Egg is available to buy as a one-off purchase on the designerbox website, or as part of a subscription service.
- Darum lamp by DAG-designlab
- Sherman Contemporary Art Foundation Bibl…iotheca by LAVA
- José Collection by Mauricio Arruda
- L’Oiseau by Ronan & Erwan Bouroullec f…or Vitra
- Zipte Link by Michael Young
- Dezeen Screen: Rise for Japan by Milton …Glaser
- Borderline by A+A cooren
- Movie: Nike Zoom Victory Elite
- Talamanca Cocoa by fuseproject
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories