Italian designer Tommaso Caldera has reinterpreted the classic caged workshop lamp by combining it with a domestic shade.
Created for Milan design brand Incipit's first collection, the Tull lamp features the same elements as a standard workshop lamp – the light source is protected by a bent steel-wire net attached to a spun-aluminium diffuser.
But Tommaso Caldera has redesigned the form, proportions and colour to translate its industrial language into something that works in a domestic space.
Related story: Work Lamp by Form us with Love
"Part of my work is to explore shapes and languages," said Caldera. "Reinterpreting a classic object such as a workshop lamp, moving it from one environment to another, is one way to give substance to that ongoing research."
Caldera said the lamp's resonance with the current trend for wire cages was just a consequence.
"The materials and technologies are the same as my starting point, it's just the colours, finishes, proportions and shapes that have changed," he said.
The designer chose mint green for the shade and warm yellow for the cage. "A suspension lamp is an heavy presence, so I tried to choose colours that kept the same soft appearance as the shapes and distanced the object from its industrial environment," he told Dezeen.
The lamp is designed, produced and assembled in Italy in collaboration with local suppliers.
Incipit launched its first collection during this year's Salone Internazionale del Mobile in Milan.
Other designs that feature cages include concrete vases that protect delicate flowers and foliage, and lamps based on lighting used in garages and construction sites.
Photography is by Matteo Pastorio.
- The crash was "very healthy" for collect…ible design, says Design Miami's Rodman Primack
- Christmas Tree Furniture by Fabien Cappe…llo
- Poke Hanger by Kyuhyung Cho
- Vue by fuseproject and Issey Miyake
- Chassis by Stefan Diez for Wilkhahn
- Stool by Michael Marriott for Paul Smith
- Piggyback by Thomas Heatherwick for Magi…s
- Graffiti fantasy creatures by Phlegm exh…ibited in east London
- Lee Broom creates Nouveau Rebel collecti…on in "de rigueur" marble
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories